AutoDesSys

Render solid object as wireframe in shaded mode

AsOne

This was an option prior to v10 by selecting Fake space in Display options.

It's quite annoying having to toggle between rendered and wireframe to view the positions view/select objects that are hidden.

Auto Xray normally results in lengthy waits sometimes to the point of having to force quit.

Never gotten an answer if this will vert be resolved in spite of repeated requests.

Yes! Select the object or objects you want to render as wireframe and go to your inspector palette. On the attributes tab deselect render as shaded surface (my want to do the same at casts shadows). That's it. You can only select the wireframe object if you click on its frame, not on the empty spaces, thus you can click other shaded objects located behind it through the openings.

I haven't used or tested Auto Xray or Fake Space before. How do you use them, @Gyro? I'm curious.

Following your comment, I took a look at both options. They seem interesting, although I need to see a clear use during design work because they are very distracting. For a project presentation or screenshots to show specific info in context?

While I see potential in visual tools like Auto Xray and Fake Space, I have concerns about their distracting nature, which makes me think they cannot be used continuously. This is why, for example, I usually work with the Lock Reference Plane turned on and controlled with a keyboard shortcut to avoid having it jumping all around all the time. So, there should be a more efficient way to activate/deactivate them than the Display Options palette to make practical use of them, especially when working mobile on a single screen.

I can see potential in visual aids like these, regardless of the critical graphical problems Auto Xray has. However, to be practical, they should be triggered fluently on the fly. Keyboard shortcuts would be ideal, as I said in my previous example.