AutoDesSys

Map Texture

Hi,

Does anyone have any tips to share for mapping images to odd shapes?
I have to add a logo to the inside face of this cone & I can't get it to work with any of the mapping types (flat, cubic, cylindrical etc).  It's always stretched out of proportion, is reversed, & I can't stop it repeating.

image.thumb.jpeg.5bffb09c89b0daf0e1b637b291bee36f.jpeg

Any ideas?

Thanks.

press "Favourite Tools" and then the letter "d" for the "Decal" tool. Deselect all faces -then select the inner face only.

select the material with your logo and try to place it...

the UI is very tricky and from the last century...

Good Luck

vva

Truncated cones can be quite challenging to map to.    I'm not a fan of Decals generally, but that's probably the easiest way if it works for you here.  I seem to remember it not rendering correctly in VRay though, so let us know if that does work, won't you?

Alternatively, you could figure out the proportions of the truncated cone and apply that to a logo file to skew it, then map the skewed logo file to the inside with cylinder mapping at 100% height and 360*.  You'll need to do some math to figure out the correct r and R for the truncated cone, that is little radius and Large Radius, which you can use to find the proportions to apply to the logo file.  Finally, you may have to horizontal 'Flip' the logo file in your photo editor so that the inside cylider mapping comes out correctly in FormZ.

Good luck.  Please share the outcome so that we can all see how you did it?

Cheers.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I ended up mirroring & distorting the artwork as you suggested Justin. I haven't got it perfect but it's good enough & I should be able to get it better if needs be.

vva - decal doesn't seem to work with v-ray?? I used decal a lot in v6 with RZ (I went from v6 to v9), it was great for adding logos/graphics on top of other textures. I now make an image to fit the dimensions of the whole object, which is a pain when it's on a textured background that has to match other textured objects in the model.

pipo - I can't  get taper to work at all, when I select an object with the taper tool it just returns to the pic tool. I must be doing something wrong

On 3/31/2024 at 11:19 AM, cobrien said:

pipo - I can't  get taper to work at all, when I select an object with the taper tool it just returns to the pic tool. I must be doing something wrong

Turning off the 'return to pick tool' option in edit/preferences/modeling fixed this