AutoDesSys

V-Ray 6??

Anwar

Since you've mentioned V-Ray for formZ.  What do users think of it with FormZ.  I've had a Z license for thirty years, and want a better, zippier renderer.  Yet I'm hesitant to buy, because texturing these days seems a little dumb in Z.  Things are a bit buggy.  The company seems a bit sleepy.  I'm considering Rhino, another spatial-technologies kernel . . . hmmm, who knows.  Perhaps update the modeler too, if I'm going  blow a wad of cash for a renderer.  I really like the Z, but it seem a bit like the  franken-modeler these days.  Not sure what to do?  I need some convincing.

I'm personally expecting a lot from formZ 10.  For one thing I think the UI on Windows is still supporting very old versions of Windows, but now that NVIDIA has dropped driver support for anything less than Window 10, I'm hoping that graphics software will finally modernize.  Also, the partnership with PowerCAD looks promising.

V-Ray is far superior to RenderZone in terms of speed and realism, especially on modern RTX graphics cards.  Once you have V-Ray the only thing RenderZone is useful for is Sketch rendering in my opinion.  So maybe formZ and V-Ray 6 will be the upgrade you are looking for when they are available.  I've been quite pleased with the current 9.x and V-Ray 5, although I will admit I wish the texture mapping was more robust.

Being a long time Z user, I started on Mac, and still am. Currently I'm using a new Macbook pro with 64 gb of ram. Is anyone using a similar device? How well does v-ray run on it for you? One aspect I like of the Z license of V-Ray is that it’s not a subscription. Practically every 3d company believes their user base is professional and charges a ton to use their product on a subscription basis . If Adobe had a good modeler for $10 a month like photoshop the response would be huge. 

• 1 month later...

For once, I don't see anything in the V-Ray 6 release that is useful for my workflow.   Was there a new feature you were looking for?

I'll be much more interested in an updated FormZ 10, as V-Ray 5 is working great here, at least on the PC side.  V-Ray 5.2 should allow Apple M chip users to have native V-Ray rendering, which is pretty cool!  This combined with an updated, universal FormZ 10, should be a tremendous update.  Looking forward to what the future brings.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/15/2022 at 6:30 AM, Gumby_Doyen said:

Being a long time Z user, I started on Mac, and still am. Currently I'm using a new Macbook pro with 64 gb of ram. Is anyone using a similar device? How well does v-ray run on it for you? One aspect I like of the Z license of V-Ray is that it’s not a subscription. Practically every 3d company believes their user base is professional and charges a ton to use their product on a subscription basis . If Adobe had a good modeler for $10 a month like photoshop the response would be huge. 

As the Macbook Pro and all its iterations are now using their M series processors - the issue with VRay appears to me to be awaiting Chaos supporting 'Metal'.

That is the issue in getting newer Vray support on Mac and in general as formZ is a multiplatform program.