AutoDesSys

Graphics settings - OpenGL?

SJD

Hi

I'm a long time user slowly making the jump from version 6 to 8.6, very impressed so far and very pleased to see how much easier it is to create more complex shapes etc. 😃

One thing I've noticed that my PC seems a bit sluggish when displaying realtime transformations. I've been working through the 'What's new in FormZ 8' video from 2014 and have noticed that my transformations when using Subdivisions are quite sluggish compared to the video - I have a fairly decent PC and have put the specs below. I have enabled Advanced OpenGL in the preferences and updated my Nvidia drivers.

Are there any settings I can adjust to increase performance within FormZ?

Thanks in advance

Steve

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 6 core processor, 8Gb Ram, Nvidia GForce GTX1060 6GB

Not sure why it's sluggish on your machine. Maybe there's an issue with the installation or something else going on. My 7 year old iMac runs fine with Fz and has a much lower spec than yours (with the exception of RAM, mine has 24Gb). Of course, whichever model I'm working on has a lot to do with the responsiveness with transformations. I like to keep image textures as low in size as possible and switch off both "keep textures and Keep Ghosted Tool Operands in File" in project settings. When working on subdivisions I keep the "Iterations" to something lower than 3 and only increase it if faceting starts to get visible when rendering. Also, when using components, it is set by default to "Align with view", turn this off unless you specifically want that for billboard people and trees. In preferences, I have "Enable Multi Threading and Use Advanced OpenGL" turned on as well.

Query; if your making the jump from 6.x to 8.6, why not go straight to 9?

Des

cheers Des, I'll take a look at those settings and see how it goes

I've thought about upgrading to v9 but I thought I'd wait until any bugs are ironed out - I've had v8 for a few years but never got round to using it (plus I want to make Vray my next purchase)

thanks

steve

Edited by SJD