AutoDesSys

Offset Nurbs Edge Like in Rhino

kmwhitt

I'm modeling a sink.  I have three nurbs surfaces as shown in the attached.  I need a 1" radius along the segment outlined in red.  I have tried stitching the three nurbs surfaces together and using the round tool without any luck.  In Rhino it is possible to offset an edge in order to split the surface a certain distance away from an adjacent surface.  I could thereby use the nurbs blend tool to create my radius.  Is there any similar function in FormZ.  If not, how do I go about getting the rounded edges I need.  The file is also attached.  Much thanks!  Kevin

sink_nurbs.tif

sink_nurbs.rar

Concerning the original question here on the sink I would not use nurbs to construct that.  You are making this harder than it needs to be.  One of the great strengths of Form.z is that you have many different tools to achieve the same result.  I am sure everyone would do this a bit differently but my approach would be to construct two different solids from a front and side view and then use the Boolian split tool on them.  Delete the parts you don't need to get a solid that is the volume of the sink. (in other words I have created a form that would be the shape of the sink if it was filled with water).  For the 1" radius I would hold down the control key and use the round tool to round those two edges.  Select the top face and delete it.  Now you have the shell of the sink.  Thicken it if you want to.

Attached is my file.  It took me about 4 minutes to create which is a lot less time than it took to type this. 

sink.fmz

TEST IMAGE 02

Thanks Andrew for the advice and the model.  I think I figured out the attachment process.  It cannot be a TIF file or it gets attached instead of embedded.  The JPG here works just fine.

I realize I could model this using booleans and rounding, however, I'd still like to know how it could be done with nurbs.  Thanks again for your input!

sink_nurbs.jpg

I have also been wanting to do things like this. I often get shapes where it is impossible to perform rounds on.  WAY TOO OFTEN!

what I fo now, is use the line segment where I want the round, extract it, then extrude a circle along that line, trim both faces that crate the edge by the extrusion, then add a blended nurb between  one thing I really don’t like about doing this though, the blend has an excessive number of controls.  Essentially impossible to edit  

When scripting comes available, it is on my list to explore.  My method would more than likely alter the original shapes a bit, so wouldn’t be as precise as above,  but the blend would be manageable.  

No promises though. This is fantastical thinking at this point.  Nothing concrete.

Ç£

Edit: you can also perform the above by line of intersection,  if your numbs hatch past each other.  Often faster than getting perfect alignment, the. Doing the the extrusion. 

Oh, this works best if it is a continuous radius.  Or a simple graduate radius.  Dependent on how you set up the extrusion. 

Edited by Chris lund
Added info

Chris - thanks for the reply.  Yes, I tried your method 1 above by sweeping a 1" radius along the boundary edges. The pieces split okay, but now I'm finding it impossible to generate a blend between the newly created edges. I get an error that states something to the effect of "can't create nurbs blend between these edges".  So, I start all over extracting edges and recreating the surfaces via boundary nurbs, lofts, etc.  These newly formed nurbs surfaces won't blend either.  Nothing has ever come easy as pertains to nurbs for me in FormZ.  I give up at this point.  Fortunately, I have other tools at my disposal that simply work!

Edited by kmwhitt

Sometimes for more complex shapes I go to subdivision creation to achieve the desired shape and then convert to nurbs.  Results are not as simple and orderly (many smaller patches) but sometimes brute force gets the job done within the time constraints and the results are exportable and clean enough to be tool patterned and machined.

6 minutes ago, AHTOH said:

Hi kmwitt.

If I would be you I would not try to attach tiff files in order people to see them in browser. TIFF is not intended to that. I`d rather use JPEGs  🙂

Than it would look like this:

Sink_fmz.thumb.jpg.92c6e1f610f24201ac6d02852272c4d0.jpg

It also took bout 4 minutes along with render  

🙂

Enjoy

Sink.fmz.zip

7 hours ago, setz said:

Sometimes for more complex shapes I go to subdivision creation to achieve the desired shape and then convert to nurbs.  Results are not as simple and orderly (many smaller patches) but sometimes brute force gets the job done within the time constraints and the results are exportable and clean enough to be tool patterned and machined.

setz - thanks for the input.  I would prefer to use subdivision surfaces if it was possible to draw with faceted geometry in FormZ since version 7.  I find the results quite messy.

AHTOH - yes, I have learned my lesson - not to use TIF files.  I appreciate you sending the sink file, but this is not the shape I am looking for.  I could easily create what you have attached, but the shape I am trying to create is more complex and certainly not symmetrical from front to back.  I was able to get what I needed using other software.  I have always found FormZ too stringent when it comes to what is and is not allowed when performing certain nurbs operations.  I can understand the need for these "rules" to ensure accuracy, however, sometimes you just want to turn out a shape.  Thanks again to all that replied.  Kevin