AutoDesSys

Mac OS High Sierra 64 bit Applications

kim

Hi ZTech,

I have many FZ archived files from earlier versions of FZ.  Presently, If I wish to open them, I can use FZ7. As FZ7 is a 32 bit application it will no longer function under High Sierra.  Will future upgrades of FZ include a function which will allow them to open earlier version files or are we going to need to always have FZ7 around on an old mac or two?

Many thanks,
Kim

Sounds like yet another reason to leave Apple behind when it comes to 3D work.  I don't often open v6 files, but I certainly need the ability to do so sometimes and opening them in v8 doesn't always work out that great.

FormZ 6 for Windows 10 will likely continue to be an option for us.  Add that to Apples pathetic hardware and software choices as of late, and switching back to Windows after 10+ years is making a lot more sense.

Would it be possible to allow another computer on our license to run a "legacy" version? In my case, I have a Mac Pro stuck @ Snow Leopard I could run V6 on while running current versions on my IMac and laptop.

Fingers crossed,

Joe

All, 

We have tested formZ 6, 7, 8, and 8.5 in the beta of macOS 10.13 High Sierra and they are all currently working.  We made necessary adjustments to the 7 and 8 disk images so they will mount and launch on this operating system (8.5 already worked).  Note that depending on your security settings in 10.12 and 10.13, you may have to right click on the application and chose Open when it is first launched on the OS.

Of course, if you are still using version 7, we highly recommend upgrading to 8.5 for the best formZ experience on new operating systems.  Although we confirmed that 6 and 7 run on 10.13, these version are not being thoroughly tested on High Sierra so we cannot guarantee their compatibility with various functions/options.  

In regards to getting 8.5 opening pre-6 files: this is something we are still investigating for the future.  The issue here is that these files are written to be compatible with PowerPC processors, not Intel processors, so this conversion is a bit of a tedious process. 

Hi Ztech,

It is interesting that you managed to get the 32 bit versions of FZ to open in High Sierra.  In a way this is good news.  It is unfair of us users to request that you maintain the ability for us to keep accessing our 20 year old files but then you always offer such great service, that is one of the reasons we all stick to FZ.   

I speak for myself here but all I would like is the ability to open an archived file and re save it in such a way that I can use some of its data in the latest version of FZ.  I even wondered if it was possible to have a small application that ran independently from the FZ app that could look for old versions of FZ files on ones disk and automatically update them.  I would pay for such an app.  Then whenever you updated FZ with a major upgrade you could also update the 'macro app' that would go in and update all old FZ files.

Just to answer Joe's question about running a legacy version of FZ 6.  My understanding was that as FZ6 used the USB key we had the right to continue using FZ6 with Leopard on an old machine.  Not sure if my memory is playing tricks on me but I seem to recall that Autodessystems gave us the okay to do that?

Justin, I tried running FZ on Windows 10, not for me.  I agree with you that Apple dropped the pro users for the last few years but I am salivating over the iMac Pro.  I suspect it will be pretty good for rendering but the proof will be in the pudding :) .

I second Ztech's point that upgrading to FZ8.5 is a worthwhile endeavor.

Kim

Kim, Joe, 

As stated, there is no need to keep a machine with an older operating system at the moment because versions 6.7.3 - 8.5.7 do work on 10.12 and 10.13.  As long as you still have your USB Wibu key and registration codes, you can use version 6 on any machine you'd like.  

The caveat here is that version 6 is not thoroughly tested on newer operating systems, so if you'd like to keep an old OS around for peace of mind, don't let us stop you  ;)

Archived