AutoDesSys

Controlled Rounding not responding after update

kim

Hi Kim,

In the Controlled Rounding Tool Options (at the bottom), there is an option to Update Automatically that is on by default.  Did you perhaps uncheck that?

If that's not it, we are not sure why you would have this issue and are not reproducing this here.  If you try to adjust the controlled rounding on this object, do you have the problem there?

CRound.zip

If not, but another object shows the problem, can you please post your file so we can take a look?

Related question:

I simply wish to create an arc line with rounded ends, I can do this in Illustrator in 4 basic steps as attached.

I guess as I'm in the Illustrator mindset I'm finding it very hard to replicate this form in FormZ.

I can kind of get there by drawing an extruded arc, deriving a surface and tried rounding the corners using the fillet tool without great success. Also tried drawing an arc thickening and rounding the corners and extracting a surface, precise numerical input is required and I'm not getting  good result.

Any help much appreciated.

Andrew@gyro

post-12183-0-95851400-1463574340_thumb.png

Hi Gyro,

You can draw the arc with a 2d wall modifier, or you can draw it as a basic arc and then derive a wall from it:

post-5-0-94111100-1463575744_thumb.jpg

Then just use the Fillet Tool on the two straight segments at the end of the wall:

post-5-0-60671500-1463575744_thumb.jpg

Is that what you are trying to achieve?

Wall.zip

Thanks for your reply.

I have tried to replicate your drawing but I get an alert regarding insufficient size of segment when I input a 305mm or when radiussing the second corner I have to drop the size resulting a curve that is not a semicircle.

Is there an option to just apply a full radius based on the size of an line.

I can remove the end line and draw a semicircle but that results in a longer object, the other is to draw a path and subtract it, as per my image

I'm making the microscope from Avatar for Disneyworld Florida, we made the originals for the movie as attached.

http://www.gyro.co.nz/pages/featured_projects_avatar.html

The part I'm drawing regarding my question is the lid with the outer edge indents.

Thanks in advance Andrew

post-12183-0-42960000-1463692872_thumb.png

post-12183-0-76537800-1463692995_thumb.jpg

Wall-Radius.fmz.zip

Hi Gyro,

You need to Fillet the end segment at or less than half the width of the wall thickness of the shape.  In most cases exactly half should work, but in some cases you may need to Fillet with just barely less than half the distance between the offset edges.

Or if you want to draw the semi circle yourself, use the 2d mode with the Join to Existing option.

Does that help?

Archived