AutoDesSys

Embossing

kmwhitt

Anyone have an easy method to create embossing?  I am modeling the GE logo attached.  I outlined the shape rather roughly, thinking I could convert to nurbs and then loft or extrude.  However when I attempt the conversion, the surface disappears.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  File is attached too.  Thanks, Kevin

post-10687-0-53805800-1457814412_thumb.jpg

embossing.zip

Thanks for taking a look, Ahtoh.  What method did you use?  Did you convert to nurbs?  I appreciate the model, however, I'd really like to know what you did. Kevin

OK Kevin.

Anton in fact.

Here we go:

First I added points in order not to get tight corners too much rounded.

Second I converted object to NURBs and lost holes.

Third I unghosted original object and moved-copy holes in ortogonal direction (90 degrees to object). 

Fouth I dedicated working plane to my flat NURBs object I wanted to have holes in.

Fifth I converted my "holes" objects to NURBs

Sixth I made ortogonal  projection of my "holes objects" and they appeared upon my main object.

Seventh I made boolean difference.

___

Extruded

Profit.

Been glad to help :-),

Anton.

Hi Anton.  Thanks for the explanation.  I decided to go ahead and model it in C4D using subd modeling - it was much easier.  All apps have their strengths.

Yes, it looks like the logo hasn't changed since the 50's.  I'm doing a retro kitchen where the client is using refurbished 1950's appliances - should be interesting.

post-10687-0-69348500-1457825528_thumb.jpg

post-10687-0-93004700-1457825541_thumb.jpg

Why would this be difficult in Fz? (you said it was easier in C4D)

From the top of my head you could try all these methods;

1- Extrude the logo (round the edges if you want).

2- Use a greyscale image of the logo to create a displacement.

3- Imprint the logo onto a solid and use reshape for the embossing.

4- Offset outline the logo without insert, move out, loft.

5- And like in C4D, subdivide a facetted logo and play with it to your hearts content.

Other users will have different ways to model it I'm sure but unless you are rendering a very up-close image, I can't see the reason to model in such detail anyway, an image map with bump can give very good results. Your model is looking good so far, you should post the final render when it's done.

Des

Des - thanks for taking the time to comment.  I wanted a more organic look for the logo as this oven will be seen in a close up.  It installs in an island opposite a hutch and as the logo is towards the top near the line of the countertop, it will certainly be visible.  Much like the render attached from a recent job, however, with the oven in the foreground.

I chose subdivsion modeling as it will give me the rounded/organic look I need.  C4D has a polygon pen that you can use to trace the logo outline - it's very fast and there is no screen lag like I experience in FMZ - see second attachment.  If there is a tool in FMZ that can outline this shape as quickly as the polygon pen while creating quadrangle strips (in preparation for subdividing), please point me towards it.

The way I created the outline in FMZ intially was to draw a spline towards the middle of the shape, derive a 2D wall, and move the points outward to align with the contour.  Once I got there, I made a copy of the surface and offset in Z direction.  My hope was to create a nurbs surface by lofting the two shapes, but I couldn't get it to work - thus my original post.

I took a stab at it again this morning.  I was able to create a loft using the ruled surface tool.  After stitching the surfaces together, I converted to faceted in order to subdivide the surface.  This was much better than my previous result, but the mesh is a real mess - third image.  And I have no control over the faceting as everything is created as smooth.  If you have another technique in FMZ to get the same results I did in C4D, I'm listening.

Of course, there are many tools that function in FMZ (with precision) that are not available in Cinema4D.  I would never model anything technical in C4D, but it would be my first choice for SUBD modeling.

Kevin

post-10687-0-91603600-1457866899_thumb.jpg

post-10687-0-39523200-1457866909_thumb.jpg

post-10687-0-08193200-1457866921_thumb.jpg

Archived