AutoDesSys Forums
Spacer

Mapping question: bent wood

Hi,

I have a sweep object( circular profile/ curving path in all planes). I want a map of wood grain to follow the direction.

How to do this, please?

I notice if I use the nurbz surfaces tool on the object, it creats 8 new Nurbz objects which all together represent the shape of the original object. should I map to there idividually? BTW, some of these are trimmed, some not(otherwise smooth surfaces).

current incorrect mapping:

post-9808-0-37740400-1448365472_thumb.jpg

After nurbz surface tool:

post-9808-0-15630500-1448365647_thumb.jpg

thanks!

Peter

Edited by Spacer

Yes, you need Parametric Mapping, so first Polygonize your path so you get equal spaced points:

post-5-0-76661300-1448373232_thumb.jpg

Then Convert the Curve to a NURBS Curve, and Sweep as NURBS along the path:

post-5-0-28892500-1448373233_thumb.jpg

Convert to Plain Nurbs, and Edit the mapping:

post-5-0-22111100-1448373232_thumb.jpg

Does that help?

Hi Spacer,

The "Use NURBS Control Points" option was added in version 8.  If you would like to see this in action, you should download the 8.5 Trial... it's fully functional for 30 days  :)

Hi, I am getting back to this. I want to make a 2 ath sweep using two nurbz curves as paths in order to afterwards creat an object with parametric mapping as you described above.

the line i want has both a straight and curves parts. when I make the nurbz curve xith the "N -curves" tool, I cannot get a part of the line to be perfectly straight then at point have a tangent for the curv and then become straight again.

I attemp to use 4 and 6 click to first create  a polyogaonalised path(as per your instructions), after Nurbzing it, I cannot get the desired result. any thoughts?

nurbzcurbfromthis.fmz.zip

thanks-

Peter

The tips are great as are the recommendations here. It's a shame they are not in sync though: the essential step mentioned in this thread - polygonize with equidistant points - is not mentioned at all in the tip.

well the tip makes it seem like there are different ways to create a nurbz object- the sinequanon of parametric mapping. i haven't tried yet different approaches. I just wanted to know if there was a way to 'isolate ' a staight line from a cuve in a nurbz curve.. then i was going to do a 2 path weep from two of those lines  (which i need for my particular object)...

i agree the tips are great.