AutoDesSys

Mapping question: bent wood

Spacer

Hi,

I have a sweep object( circular profile/ curving path in all planes). I want a map of wood grain to follow the direction.

How to do this, please?

I notice if I use the nurbz surfaces tool on the object, it creats 8 new Nurbz objects which all together represent the shape of the original object. should I map to there idividually? BTW, some of these are trimmed, some not(otherwise smooth surfaces).

current incorrect mapping:

post-9808-0-37740400-1448365472_thumb.jpg

After nurbz surface tool:

post-9808-0-15630500-1448365647_thumb.jpg

thanks!

Peter

Yes, you need Parametric Mapping, so first Polygonize your path so you get equal spaced points:

post-5-0-76661300-1448373232_thumb.jpg

Then Convert the Curve to a NURBS Curve, and Sweep as NURBS along the path:

post-5-0-28892500-1448373233_thumb.jpg

Convert to Plain Nurbs, and Edit the mapping:

post-5-0-22111100-1448373232_thumb.jpg

Does that help?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, I am getting back to this. I want to make a 2 ath sweep using two nurbz curves as paths in order to afterwards creat an object with parametric mapping as you described above.

the line i want has both a straight and curves parts. when I make the nurbz curve xith the "N -curves" tool, I cannot get a part of the line to be perfectly straight then at point have a tangent for the curv and then become straight again.

I attemp to use 4 and 6 click to first create  a polyogaonalised path(as per your instructions), after Nurbzing it, I cannot get the desired result. any thoughts?

nurbzcurbfromthis.fmz.zip

thanks-

Peter

well the tip makes it seem like there are different ways to create a nurbz object- the sinequanon of parametric mapping. i haven't tried yet different approaches. I just wanted to know if there was a way to 'isolate ' a staight line from a cuve in a nurbz curve.. then i was going to do a 2 path weep from two of those lines  (which i need for my particular object)...

i agree the tips are great.

Archived