AutoDesSys

trouble with the transform tool

David Lemelin

Hi there,

I'm having some issues with the transform tool. These MAY be features I just don't know how to access, of consider them a suggestion for future revisions...

a) when I change the dimension of an object using the transform tool, FZ seems to get confused as to the size of the object. If I try to change the size the same way again, I get odd behaviour... the object changes size, but not to the specified dimension. It's like it's referencing the original size and then applying the two dimension changes over top of each other. I rather wish something with a changed dimension would simply become that dimension and allow fo more transformations without getting progressively more and more bizarre results.

B) Is there a way to ensure the controller STAYS where you put it? Every time I move an object, the transform controller doesn't seem to want to follow it, and if I've adjusted to a specific angle, I have to correct that every time I reselect the object. Am I missing a setting somewhere?

c) Is there a command to automatically recenter the controller? Again, overtime I reselect an object or a duplicate (ESPECIALLY with duplicates) the controller goes on a joy ride and I have to select it and move it back to the center.... A center controller in object button would be a God Send.

If I move the objects about enough, eventually the controller falls off the screen entirely and I can only ungroup my object and regroup to get the controller back. (THEN I have to readjust the angle and position, until I deselect... then repeat)

d) Is there an option to scale an object by percentage? 

These options may be buried somewhere... but I haven't found them... I'd love some input!

Hi David,

a)  We are not reproducing this.  Please send a file that contains an object where this happens so we can investigate this further.

B)  The Transform tool controller is based on the object Axis.  If you wish to modify the controller temporarily, use that option in the Transform tool.  If you wish to modify the axis permanently, use the Edit Object Axes tool.

c)  The Edit Object Axes tool has a Center option.

d)  The standard scale tools scale by "percentage" (1 = 100%, 0.5 = 50%).

I have observed many of the behaviours which David is reporting as well, especially the "wandering controller". It is particularly a problem when you group items and then transform them. Create three cubes. Group them. The controller is in the centre of the bounding box. Transform the cubes creating a copy of the group. Select this copy group and try to transform it. the controller is no longer in the centre of the bounding box but offset.

I have also encountered the "weird scaling" when entering numeric values into transformation size, especially non-uniform, but not consistently enough to know when it happens exactly. I'll try and explore next time it happens to me.

Doug

Hi Doug, 

Yes, you have reported the specific case where Transforming Copies of Groups of objects causes the Origin to be located incorrectly.  If you (or anyone else) find any other cases where this is not working as expected, please let us know.

We have continued scaling objects but have still not observed the "weird scaling" -- so if anyone can send a file and steps to make this happen, we can make sure this gets addressed as well.

Archived