AutoDesSys

Sub D shape and map

FZnoob

See attached:

1. We have a simple subdivided cube with a color applied to the 4 poly faces
2. If you invoke the “grow face” command on one of the faces, all of the colors disappear.
3. Even if you apply “grow face” to a face without color (such as one of the sides), the ones with color will still disappear.
4. In fact, if you apply any sub d command (here offset edges) the colors disappear.

Is this expected behavior?

Rob,  it is perfectly achieved in other software.

remember, the smoothing is applied to a polygonal model that resides "beneath it"   Pretty much, any operation that can be applied to the poly cage should apply to the smoothed version.

For that matter, some of the smooth tools are actually redundant.

Z, 

Tis true, when the geometry count is changed, not all is perfect in other sub-d software.   such as the insert segment,  of circumstance 4.   either it chooses one set or the other, and when splitting it perp it can actually split the color selection.

If this does not make sense, I would be happy to make a vid.

¢£

Neura, I am not talking about any drastic change to the geometry. Upon further investigation, I have found that even moving a single control point results is loss of all maps.

I never experienced this in any of the other polygon modeling programs I have used.

So what this means, is if I have a completed and mapped model, and to need so make even a small adjustment, I will have to re-map the entire model? Wow.

FZnoob.

I was specifically noting your option 4 in your original post and comparing it to other SubD software that I use.

The other 3 options you noted that software handled everything fine, #4  was a bit peculiar, but still not nearly as drastic as what happens in fZ.

Archived