AutoDesSys

FMZ 8.5: ENORMOUS file!!!!

Hugo

HELP!

I do have a big problem with my FMZ 8.5 files recently. On my MacPro it takes minutes to save simple models, and now I've got a file that is 2.49Gb big!! It is not possible to open it again to find what happend.

There are also Maxwell issues with grain. Too much, and don't know how to get rid of it.

I need to solve the problem soon....

Hopefully ADS can help.

I found a previous file, 1.66Gb big I could open. Then I saw I checked the option 'save undo information' in the project settings. When I switched this off, the file reduced to still 504Mb.

Probably the latest file 2,49Gb is keeping the undo information.

I really want to open the latest file because of hours of work.

What can I do?

Hi Hugo,

Please send the "problem file" and the 500 Mb file so we can take a look.

You should only Save Undo information in a small "tutorial" or "training" file, as saving unlimited undos in a file that is huge already is not a good idea.

If the file is too big to email, you can use any of the internet delivery services like www.dropbox.com, or you can upload it to our FTP site:

name = dropbox
password = i8ugdl

If you have trouble logging in to the FTP site, please use a specific FTP client, such as FileZilla (Mac or Windows):  

If you do upload it to our FTP, please send us an email reply once the upload is complete and let us know the name of the file you have uploaded so we know to check it.

Hi Hugo,

You must have crazy massive texture images.  If you open your 495 Mb file, go to the File Menu: Project Settings: Project Files and uncheck Keep Textures, then when you resave the file you will have one that is less than 4 Mb.

Do you really need textures with resolutions that high?

Hope this helps.

FZ accumulates size over time. here as well having 365 MB files - after working for a week. not sure why it is going to be so big. if i add the project to a new empty project, i get about 35 MB, which is reasonable. the problem with that is that all components layer assignments are lost. so for now i'm sticking to this elephant file. and the elephant is eating a lot every day, lol.

hope we will see a fix for this.

cheers

markus

post-89-0-08643500-1442017086_thumb.png

I think it's a serious issue in FormZ 8 and I agree with 3dworks comment.

In recent past I mentioned about losing connection (search path) to textures and I believe it's a bug. Will explain something what happens constantly while working in FormZ 8.5. Textures are not showing in shaded and full shaded mode now and then. I discovered that it is NOT because I switched off 'show textures' in the preference display options panel, because it doesn't make any difference. I believe it's a broken link in the file search path or a bug or a poor developed piece of software.

In attachment you will see my hardware setup in the office. I have chosen to use my 'powerful' MacPro 2013 as my main machine to store ALL my data on to work with. And, for another reason, it is able to save files very fast..! but not FormZ files. This is very strange to me, and this issue is not from recent date. Anyway, because of this time issue I was searching a way to decrease the time 'saving file' issue and switched options off and on in the 'project settings' panel' (attachment). But, when switching off 'keep textures', then after opening the file next time I get only errors in my renderings with FormZ and Maxwell. NO option!! I believe the answer above from Tech is not smart, but I understand the reason, marketing wise??? 

However, I still believe in FormZ modeller software but essential issues should be developed better to avoid mistakes I made in my experiments to find the best solution to decrease saving time, keep textures connected to the file, reduce file size...

The fact that I got an email replay from the support team that I should NOT switch on the option 'keep undo information' because that increase the file size dramatical, is illustrative for poor developed software. Why? Because the option is there but you should not use it, it's actually only useful for simple tutorial matters. So..?

Put that option somewhere else or give me a warning that it is not possible to save files that big! I lost a file I was working on, because I am sure I switched that option on (on purpose or not, I don't know) the file became 2.49Gb, now I am not able to open that file again. LOST!

I really hope ADS will develop a rock solid file search system that works with cloud, NAS, WiFi connected computers, ..., then I can use massive texture maps because I can read them outside the file when I want to render a scene, without thinking; Oops... I have to use now my full image textures instead the low resolution ones. Let's quickly change them...  This will not work. The FMZ file should always be able to find the textures anywhere, of course we will tell the program where to find them. But, find them... and keep it simple.

Anyway...

My compliments to the support team, they always respond very quick and want to help. Wonderful modeller and I still believe in the modeller and ADS, but it's hard.

I have to apologies myself for the email above and the setting of it because of my frustration about some issues. Today I learned some things about the combination FormZ and Textures and Maxwell.

After some experimenting with 'keep textures within the file' yes or no, I found out it will work as I aspect. Thank god... and ADS.

I read here another tread about storing textures and that was helpful too.

By all experimenting I solved another issue I couldn't understand. A setting in Maxwell with lights. Physical sky and Dome are not working well together with softbox lights inside. But, I solved the issue. :-)

Anyway, my weekend is not that bad at all... finally.

Yes, unless you have ungodly large textures and you are saving them in the file, you should not have such issues.  Glad you figured it out! :)

Of course if you ever have an unexplained issue, if you can send it to ADS, they are the BEST at diagnosing and responding ASAP.  No other company comes close!

Archived