AutoDesSys

Using derive to create a 2nd object

Sammi

Guys, I wonder .....

I created this elipse and a matching table but now the client wants to change the angle so I have created the new elipse - I am playing as I have lots of time to do the job and wondered what was the quickest way to create the new table

- would you all create the table using derive etc from the elipse?

Sammi   :)

post-954-0-92709100-1422520875_thumb.jpg

Hi Sammi, yes you could derive new geometry from that one. However, you would have a lot more control of the objects if it were smooth geometry (looks facetted in your pic), such as edge rounding etc.

Des

Hi Des,

I am self taught on fmz and still learning everyday but my previous work collegue gave me an hour quick run through on v3 6 years ago and told me to always create facetted objects not smooth! - but should I create objects in smooth then or does it depend on what is being created?

Also, I tried to use the derive tools along with slice?!? - did this not work because it isn't a smooth object?

Sammi

Hi,  Facetted geometry used to be favored for keeping file sizes smaller, in a one or two object project. Also, favored, possibly, to ease computation burdens on older, weaker computers.  Fast forward, today, recent , (even small) computers overcome those earlier issues.... Smooth objects offer more options of editing, control, measurability and in my opinion, wash out the facetted sub-structures,  which do not relate to real world construction concerns. So that preliminary mock-ups need not add confusion to products presented. Smooth object iso-lines, (sub structure), can be displayed or hidden, (toggled), easily.  Nevertheless, facetted geometry has other important uses nonetheless.

Where a change-order-visualization is asked for, very small jobs might benefit from quick 2d editing alone, (like Photoshop Skew), just to quickly check with client if that indeed was asked for. Yet formz is so compressive a design tool that 3d objects can be skewed or  Reshaped, almost as easily, even in fz version 3x or 6x.

As a real world builder, i prefer to regenerate 3d anew, from scratch, however. Extracting an outline or deriving a smooth segment is a surer way of keeping track with a client's familiarity.  It is so easy to loose this track with clients, that copying and  pasting from an original project provides some sort of assurance of sizes and proportions. Pasted in a new project keeps colors, or re-saving old project with a new name,  keeping wanted elements and discarding un-needed objects, will keep additional project features intact. 

What Bo said and to reiterate....

IMO use smooth geometry, you can adjust the resolution of the smooth model parts in attributes to keep the file sizes down. This is really only necessary on large models, if the model gets out of control size-wise, save another file as and convert to facetted if you want. The facetts resolution on conversion will be determined by the resolution of the smooth object before you convert. I would only convert to facetted if I really have to.

Using smooth geometry give SO much more control (sorry for repeating myself and Bo), but is especially true for later changes such as your query.

Des

Sammi

If facetted was the way to go in 3.6, I cannot imagine modeling another way than "smooth" now… and I'm still on 6.7 !

But for designers, facetting is a must for STL and 3D printing > all my prototypes are made this way now.

Attached an excellent PDF tutorial whritten by Paul Helm from ADS to convert your models in facetted.

It's always better to do it manually than let the translator do it.

Same for OBJ export for renders.

Totally out of topic…

Des,

It seems that you have finished your boum-boum avatar !

Since I don't know how to find members coordinates on the new forum, could you post a high-res picture of your drums ?

Is it still rendered in RZ or Maxwell ?

Many Tks

STL : OBJ Export .pdf

Hi Christian,

With formZ 8 Pro Subdivision modeling is both Easy and Fantastic and this new personality to formZ is Smooth. Yet, you can first Increase the Display Resolution

Of the Subdivision object to say 4 or 5. Then you can Easily Convert it to Quad Mesh which is Facetted Geometry so formZ 8 Pro play Great with STL and 3D Printing.

You should give it try and see for yourself. Also, See also Mat H's Demo of formZ 8 Pro with respect to 3D Printing. :) It is Webinar-On-Demand that was released not to long ago.

Dan S.

Sammi,

Hope you are keeping your ghosted objects in preferences. That should make it easy to recreate these objects in the project.

In another note. If the angle increased... Which I doubt. You can revolve objects to that angle and trim with a line.

If keeping exact dimensions you can do same if angle is less but to get a flat bottom objects need to lower in height.

Many times if I was doing similar objects in my design I may have left them completed on bottom and let them go into floor to visually cut them off. Then you can change angle many times at will.

Just looked at your project against drug I correct last post. Overall large range will make the floor to top heights smaller & less angle would make it higher. On to tating objects and trimming you would also need with keeping table top parallel to floor. Not sure if eclipse depth needs to be parallel also.

Totally out of topic…

Des,

It seems that you have finished your boum-boum avatar !

Since I don't know how to find members coordinates on the new forum, could you post a high-res picture of your drums ?

Is it still rendered in RZ or Maxwell ?

Many Tks

Hi Christian, I never actually finished that set of drums. It was just something I was playing around with so I could try out Maxwell settings.. So yes, rendered in Maxwell. Here are a couple of snapshots during the set up, done a couple of years ago. Thanks for your comment..

post-16-0-26864800-1422883281_thumb.jpgpost-16-0-40206500-1422883276_thumb.jpgpost-16-0-76258900-1422883277_thumb.jpgpost-16-0-05416800-1422883275_thumb.jpgpost-16-0-93870400-1422883279_thumb.jpgpost-16-0-66329900-1422883282_thumb.jpgpost-16-0-01272200-1422883284_thumb.jpgpost-16-0-40371000-1422883285_thumb.jpgpost-16-0-82355300-1422883286_thumb.jpgpost-16-0-82717900-1422883289_thumb.jpg

Hi Des,

Tks for your answer.

This is really a nice work, the last view is damn' good !

I specially like details in the mechanism parts… great modeling !

As this project was initiated a few years ago, was the all geometry made in 6.7.3 ?

And if it was, did you open it in a more recent FZ .V and use Maxwell plugin or is it Studio ?  

And did you open it in Maxwell and let the translator makes the facetting ?

I maybe need some motivations !

Anyway, I would appreciate your answers !

Cheers,

Christian

Most of it was modelled when I wasn't busy in Aug/Sep 2006 (file dates). So whatever version of Fz was out at that time (I try to keep up to date).

I added the Hi-hat stand a couple of years ago, so I think I used v7 for that and if I remember correctly it was faster to model using 7 even while I was getting up to scratch. Translated straight from the plugin into maxwell render.

Now that you've got me looking at it again Christian, maybe I'll revisit it in the future  :unsure:

Des

Hey Sammi, apologies for the thread hijack....

Smooth solid modelling....I love it. Just wish I didn't get problems sometimes when trying to move a host of points or segments in wireframe display mode in an attempt to alter the size of some pieces of furniture. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The problem seems to occur most when arcs or cylinders are involved.

Archived