AutoDesSys

UI - Palettes Moving upon restart, not sticking together

Justin Montoya

I know it's been talked about before, but we really need to get the UI cleaned up.

All palettes, tool bars, and even the modeling window should be able to 'stick' together.  Some of them do, only to move a few pixels on restart (Materials, Palette Dock length).  Rinse and repeat several times, and it starts to look like a grade schooler laid everything out.  

Secondly, why can't the modeling window stay stuck to the other palettes?  It's currently not even an option, but would be really nice for keeping it fit perfectly in the available space.

Hi Justin,

We agree that there are some tweaks that would be useful to "lock the interface elements into place" better -- but we are not getting palettes "moving by themselves."

What exact preference settings are you using when you are getting these to "move a few pixels?"

(Thanks in advance...)

Image from an earlier discussion:

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-18%20at%206.16.5

I try to setup FormZ to maximize the modeling window at a 16:9 ratio.  Since we are typically rendering at this ratio, it just makes the most sense to have the modeling window at that size.

That means the palette dock sidebar creates a right border, which ends up leaving a bunch of dead space at the bottom.  I really like having the materials palette down there (I had it this way in v5 and v6 as well).  As a designer, having my color palette SPREAD out in front of me helps it feel more inspiring, like a painters palette.  It still leaves some dead space around that should be better utilized (I'll save that for another thread), but this is as close as I can customize FormZ.

With this layout, the Material Palette will snap to the palette dock sidebar.  You can save the workspace, and restart FormZ.  Upon restart, the Material Palette moves away from its previous position.  So do other palettes if you have them open, and 'snapped' to the Palette dock sidebar.  Material Parameters, Display Options, etc, will all move away from the Palette Dock they were snapped to the edge of, upon restart.   It seems like a minor thing, but it is extremely annoying to have to move the palettes daily despite having them setup originally where you want them.

The Palette Dock sidebars height is also changing by itself.  I'll drag it to just maximize with the screen height, but then upon restart, it'll shrink back up to a new shorter, un maximized height.  I notice this especially after a FormZ crash and restart.

I too am getting small movements in detached palettes. In the screen grab, the Lights palette has moved away from the corner where it was placed and the other collapsed palettes have shrunk in size, or moved leaving gaps between them where as before they were snapped together.

OS 10.9.5

FZ 8.5.6

Ok, here is what I am talking about...

1 - shows how workspace is saved

attachicon.gifUltimate Workspace-1.png

2 - shows how palettes open after several closes.  See how the Materials Palette does not stay locked to the right, and changes in size?

attachicon.gifUltimate Workspace-2moved.png

Not sure why my images are no longer showing?

I just noticed a repeatable bug with the Palette Dock.  After closing the Cone of Vision, the Palette Dock changes height from what it was before entering the Cone of Vision.  Resetting the current workspace to it's default state seems to fix the Palette Dock.  I keep the Palette Dock at full height of the visible screen space.

The other palettes will not stay locked to their right side if attached to the Palette Dock.  See Materials Palette example above.  

Archived