AutoDesSys

NVIDIA RTX 2000 Ada professional graphics card

Hey Yon,

If you are looking for a new computer with a RTX GPU, there are better choices for the money than the 'professional' line of GPUs.  Very few applications need the professional cards for optimal performance in 3D modeling and rendering.  FormZ, SketchUp, Rhino, Blender, C4D, V-Ray all work great with 'Gamer' grade RTX GPUs, which cost a lot less and that means you can get better performance for the dollar.  

The RTX 2000 ADA professional card is basically a RTX 4060 silicon with a different firmware.  You would be better off getting a RTX 4080 or 4090 for performance and cost.  

Are you looking to upgrade your desktop GPU or for a new laptop?

3 hours ago, Justin Montoya said:

Hey Yon,

If you are looking for a new computer with a RTX GPU, there are better choices for the money than the 'professional' line of GPUs.  Very few applications need the professional cards for optimal performance in 3D modeling and rendering.  FormZ, SketchUp, Rhino, Blender, C4D, V-Ray all work great with 'Gamer' grade RTX GPUs, which cost a lot less and that means you can get better performance for the dollar.  

The RTX 2000 ADA professional card is basically a RTX 4060 silicon with a different firmware.  You would be better off getting a RTX 4080 or 4090 for performance and cost.  

Are you looking to upgrade your desktop GPU or for a new laptop?

I looking upgrade my desktop GPU, Professional graphics cards are optimized based on openGL, so they will not lag in complex modeling and are more delicate. Game graphics cards are optimized based on directX, so there will be some lag and rough lines in more complex modeling. So I found that using formz on a macbook pro is smoother and more delicate, while on Windows with an RTX4070Ti gaming graphics card, there will appear lag and rough lines. What I'm talking about is all about modeling, not rendering. Because rendering only requires waiting for the results, while modeling requires a powerful graphics card to build more and more complex models. Because I upgraded from RTX3060 to RTX4070Ti before, the improvement in modeling was not much. I want to buy a professional graphics card but it's a bit expensive, so I'd like to ask your opinion on whether it's worth buying? Is there a faster and smoother experience when using formZ for modeling?

I see what you're looking for now.  Please bear with me while I share some geeky GPU info with you for a little background.

While Professional GPUs do have optimized drivers for specialty applications, formZ does not to my knowledge utilize this special driver to improve OpenGL performance on a professional GPU vs a gaming level GPU.  The same goes for SketchUp, Rhino, C4D, and many other 3D applications.  Unless the 3D modeling software is developed to utilize the specialty driver, you are not going to gain anything by using a Professional GPU in those applications.  Some of the applications that do utilize the specialty drivers can be seen by their stellar performance in the Specviewperf benchmark.  But now a days, even the gamer level GPUs are giving great performance in these applications.  Years ago, you could get much better performance in 3D modeling applications using Professional GPUs, but all the current tests show that is no longer true.

Here's a review from Techgage highlighting these discrepancies and the hardware and applications - https://techgage.com/article/amd-radeon-pro-w7800-w7900-workstation-performance-review/

In here you'll see that in the SPECviewperf Solidworks benchmark, the gaming grade RTX 4090 and 4080 still provide top performance over the workstation 'professional' GPUs.  The Quadro RTX cards are not any faster in the modeling application window, this is not a rendering test.

Dassault-Systemes-SolidWorks-2160p-Viewport-Performance-2.jpg

In the 3DSMAX benchmark, you'll see the same thing where the the gaming grade GPUs are providing top level performance over the 'professional' cards.

Autodesk-Maya-2160p-Viewport-Performance-2.jpg

So where does that leave us?

I believe the problem lies with the current build of the FormZ 10 for Windows.  We currently do not have and optimized OpenGL and the Antialiasing option is not functioning.  This causes everything to have jagged lines and be way less a smooth experience when compared to the Mac version of FormZ 10.  I think this is due to the transition to Metal from OpenGL on the Mac side.  This is a problem that's been reported, and I hope it's fixed soon because it's really annoying to use formZ for hours and hours with the jagged lines.  

FormZ 10 the Antialias option is not working:

image.thumb.png.41e7b9357f88c69cd88c64b6aab6e0d2.png

FormZ 9 has smoother lines:

image.thumb.png.e5943c5afdb984f9d1621d15e5c7875d.png

So unfortunately, even using a different GPU on Windows from your already powerful RTX 4070ti , you will not see an improvement in the modeling window in formZ until we get an update to fix the current formZ 10 build.

5 hours ago, Justin Montoya said:

I see what you're looking for now.  Please bear with me while I share some geeky GPU info with you for a little background.

While Professional GPUs do have optimized drivers for specialty applications, formZ does not to my knowledge utilize this special driver to improve OpenGL performance on a professional GPU vs a gaming level GPU.  The same goes for SketchUp, Rhino, C4D, and many other 3D applications.  Unless the 3D modeling software is developed to utilize the specialty driver, you are not going to gain anything by using a Professional GPU in those applications.  Some of the applications that do utilize the specialty drivers can be seen by their stellar performance in the Specviewperf benchmark.  But now a days, even the gamer level GPUs are giving great performance in these applications.  Years ago, you could get much better performance in 3D modeling applications using Professional GPUs, but all the current tests show that is no longer true.

Here's a review from Techgage highlighting these discrepancies and the hardware and applications - https://techgage.com/article/amd-radeon-pro-w7800-w7900-workstation-performance-review/

In here you'll see that in the SPECviewperf Solidworks benchmark, the gaming grade RTX 4090 and 4080 still provide top performance over the workstation 'professional' GPUs.  The Quadro RTX cards are not any faster in the modeling application window, this is not a rendering test.

Dassault-Systemes-SolidWorks-2160p-Viewport-Performance-2.jpg

In the 3DSMAX benchmark, you'll see the same thing where the the gaming grade GPUs are providing top level performance over the 'professional' cards.

Autodesk-Maya-2160p-Viewport-Performance-2.jpg

So where does that leave us?

I believe the problem lies with the current build of the FormZ 10 for Windows.  We currently do not have and optimized OpenGL and the Antialiasing option is not functioning.  This causes everything to have jagged lines and be way less a smooth experience when compared to the Mac version of FormZ 10.  I think this is due to the transition to Metal from OpenGL on the Mac side.  This is a problem that's been reported, and I hope it's fixed soon because it's really annoying to use formZ for hours and hours with the jagged lines.  

So unfortunately, even using a different GPU on Windows from your already powerful RTX 4070ti , you will not see an improvement in the modeling window in formZ until we get an update to fix the current formZ 10 build.

Thank you for your professional sharing. I think I have got the answer. Hope FormZ can be improved better and faster.

On 6/10/2024 at 4:09 PM, Justin Montoya said:

v.10.0.2 is now available, and will address the antialiasing issues on Windows. The development team is still in the process of restoring antialiasing on Mac.

• 2 weeks later...

"v.10.0.2 is now available, and will address the antialiasing issues on Windows. The development team is still in the process of restoring antialiasing on Mac."

Where is this download?  I'm on 10.0.1 and the Update feature says "no updated versions available?