AutoDesSys

Multi-point shapes from illustrator importing to v10 as Point Objects

As the title says. Shapes from illustrator (which import fine to 9.2) are coming in as point objects that have very limited editability. I do not want to keep two versions of FormZ running, is there a solution to this? Thanks in advance,  M

point.png

I hear ya, I've always used Illustrator 8, as that is the last version that imported correctly for me for many years.

I just tested a Illustrator 8 file and it imports as expected in FMZ10 with control points turned on.

image.png.842af12de4722a2258b29e2afe65c7bd.png

image.png.88e6769722ee495c3f3dc43ac9d595a3.png

I do see it is listed as a Point Object in FormZ, but I'm not sure that's an issue?  Please let me know if this Smooth Spline Curve is not what you need.

image.png.78c79ff08318a1922f6634ccb30bb22c.png

Edited by Justin Montoya

That's the problem I'm having! They used to come in as an open wire and you closed them and were good to go. v10 will not give me a closed shape every time. Occasionally some geometry will import properly; I can't determine why some shapes work and some do not.

They should not be coming in as a point object. What even is that?     M

To be honest, I don't know what's changed, only that I am working too hard to keep my head above water to wait, so I simply jumped over and started exporting everything as DWG files.  Have you tried a DWG export?  It comes in as a Nurbz Curve...

image.thumb.png.ebf1a40e0d0487cb3460df8e12d78fee.png

Can you please send an example file(s) that work differently for you in v10 than v9 to us at support@formz.com so we can properly investigate and track this issue?

We should be able to address this issue quickly. 

Here's an illustrator file that has both viable and non-viable geometry. It appears that if every point on a shape is a smooth curve (anchor point on both sides of a control point) the geometry will come in to FormZ as a point object. In the file attached the left-most and center shapes will work; the rightmost and circle will fail.

image.thumb.png.95f95887d101bef9235b73a294978f7a.png

FormZ test file.ai

Thank you for posting the file we will investigate this issue ASAP

Please send all reports like this via email to support@formz.com. This is very important for issues to be properly tracked and addressed. The forum is a great tool for discussions, but forums do not integrate with our support system so we have no way to track issues that are not submitted via email. Thank you!

On 3/12/2024 at 12:04 PM, LuckyNotLucky said:

Here's an illustrator file that has both viable and non-viable geometry. It appears that if every point on a shape is a smooth curve (anchor point on both sides of a control point) the geometry will come in to FormZ as a point object. In the file attached the left-most and center shapes will work; the rightmost and circle will fail.

image.thumb.png.95f95887d101bef9235b73a294978f7a.png

FormZ test file.ai 234.17 kB · 2 downloads

We have imported this AI file into the latest build, B137, across multiple machines. Here are the results on OSX 14.3.1 with an M1 Max chip:

image.thumb.png.bd85400b3bf30402350d496e3814d3dc.png

And here are the settings used for the import:

image.png.35739b09ea3f3f6b4133502d2daf038d.png

Try using those settings if you aren't already, and make sure you're on the latest build of your OS version (14.4, 13.6, etc..).