AutoDesSys

formZ now runs on Surface Pro X (With Windows 11)

Anwar

For anyone else in the community interested in this like I am, formZ now runs on the Surface Pro X (ARM PCs) provided you have the latest Windows 11 updates and the OpenGL Compatibility pack installed from the Windows store.  I also have Blender 3.0 running on the Pro X too.

While I can tell it is slightly faster on an Intel machine, for most tasks it is quite useable even in this emulation.

Will the future of PCs be all ARM???

-Anwar

Hi Anwar,

Thanks for sharing this information.  What caught my eye is that you are using Blender as well as FZ.  Because of the organic modeling capability, I have toyed with the idea of using Blender.  Whenever I look at it, I feel like I am trying to relearn FZ 2.9.  But because of all the add-ons a super sophisticated version of FZ 2.9. 

I would be curious as too wether you see Blender and FZ as two very different modeling platforms or if you have managed to create a symbiotic relationship between the two.

Thanks,

Kim

Hi Kim,

For the types of modeling formZ is good at (solid modeling) I have never found anything better.  For highly organic modeling there is Z-Brush and Blender.  FormZ can import and export to and from both of these programs easily via OBJ.  I find most of what I want to model is architectural in nature, so I always begin in formZ.  

However, whereas formZ does have basic object animation, it does not have collision detection, particle systems, fluid dynamics/physics nor many such features you can find in Blender.  So if I need advanced animatronics, I will have to export a formZ model to Blender.  In general between these three programs, you can create pretty much any 3D visualization you want.  FormZ and Z-Brush are reasonably priced, and Blender is free.  This combination beats the HUGE and ongoing expense of Autodesk subscriptions in my opinion.

Just what I have found in my experience, hope it helps.

-Anwar

Hi Anwar,

I agree with what you say about FZ and Blender. So far, I have not been successful importing/exporting to or from Blender with OBJ.  I have only used STL.  If you don't mind sharing, what settings do you use when you export from FZ using OBJ?

Thanks,

Kim

Hi Kim,

I haven't had any problems with the default settings for OBJ in either program.  What issues are you running into, perhaps I can see if I can reproduce them?  Or maybe I can recommend a way to change the settings to address your issues.

-Anwar

Hi Kim,

When I open your formZ file it has to be converted because it was created in a previous version (I am on the latest 9.2.0.1).  When I use the default OBJ settings in this version of formZ it imports to Blender just fine.

So I cannot reproduce exactly what you are experiencing for two reasons:

1) I am on PC, not Mac

2) I am on the latest version of formZ

You would have to ask formZ Support for help with your version and platform.  Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

-Anwar

Edited by Anwar

Returning to the original post for a minute anyone interested in formZ on Windows 11 on ARM might also want to know that:

1) Python can be installed and scripts work

2) V-Ray 5 will also run in emulation on Windows 11 on ARM

Edited by Anwar

Another update for anyone following this:

FormZ and Blender's latest releases do work on the latest Windows 11 on ARM, however, Z-Brush will not at the present time.  It will install successfully but it will crash when you try to launch it.  So not all 3D programs work yet...

Thanks Anwar for taking a look at my files.

Interesting that it came across as an older file Mac to Windows.  I am working on the most updated version of FZ pro v9.2.0.1 (Build A46A).  Looks like I will need to take up this issue with Tech Support on Monday.