AutoDesSys

vrmateditor

Des

I've finally started to play with V-Ray and I'm hoping to complete a project using it, but I've already run into a little problem.

The renderer is working fine when I use the Fz built in v-ray material parameters but I'd like to work on the materials inside the vrmateditor. When I try to open it to do so it momentarily appears only in the menu bar (top left on Mac) and then disappears. I tried opening  the vrmateditor straight from the finder (formZ 9.0 pro > Plugins > V-Ray for FormZ) but nothing happens.

As mentioned I can edit materials straight from FormZ material parameters but that seems a little basic. And so far the V-Ray renderer is running solidly (if a bit cartoony as I'm just learning).

I'm used to working on Maxwell materials in the mxed editor and referencing them into FormZ so I'd like to have the same control.

Any advice is appreciated.

Des

Hi Des,

I have similar issue on Windows ....click to 'Open in Vray Material Editor' in the Material Parameters toolbox window...Default Editor window opens, but as soon as I click the window, it disappears. ....if I check in the windows taskbar there is a Vray icon ....click this, the window opens again and I can edit, it will remain open until I close..

I'm not a mac user... but maybe this helps? 

Hi Martin, thanks for your reply.

Yes it could be the same problem but I'm beginning to think it's something to do with the licensing of V-Ray. I did change computers since I originally licensed it.

I haven't had time to follow it up since I posted this as I've gotten really busy again so I have to revert to my Maxwell workflow to get things done but hopefully I'll get back to V-Ray and get it sorted out at some stage.

Des

Windows user here, but I think this behaviour is a part of our old VRay version that has been rectified in the newer release on other platforms.  Hopefully we get and update soon too.  The new VRay Asset Editor is incredibly more useful and efficient than our piecemealed version.

I was told that this behaviour is out of ADS hands in our current version.  I just got used to using the Generic VRay material editor built into formZ since the pop up editor feels cumbersome.  That being said, once you get used to having to click on it a second time to get it to stay visible, it's a necessary workaround.  If it's disappearing perhaps it's just 'behind' the FormZ window or minimized.  You should be able to use Task View in Windows or Mission Control on Mac to find it again. 

If it's not there, then it sounds like it is crashing in your MacOS version and you need to report that.