AutoDesSys

USD as file exchange module

3dworks

Pixar's USD exchange format seems to establish as a new standard nowadays in many 3D apps. The latest C4D version for example will support it. Render engines like Octane are starting to support it. Can we expect FZ to incorporate it soon?

Maybe this format could solve once for a while all exchange problems between FZ and other apps, if well implemented. I'm still missing an export / import module in FZ which handles geometry, surfaces, textures, cameras and lights alltogether in a decent way.

https://graphics.pixar.com/usd/docs/index.html

Edited by 3dworks
Better text

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure what would make USD a good exchange format. The features that make it good for VFX are not something FormZ could make much use of.

I would prefer if Autodessys tightened up existing formats or added IFC support. Unfortunately, IFC is a big undertaking, so I doubt we will see it come to FormZ any time soon.

FormZ needs to embrace BIM and be a fast content solution for Archicad/Revit etc. Creating BIM objects is tedious work, but FormZ could change that if given half a chance.  

i agree on your points as well, BIM support would be crucial for the future of FZ.

the great strength of USD is that lots of platforms are adopting it right now and we need one reliable way to transfer geometry, materials (or at least coulors), layers, cameras and lights from FZ to other platforms. no current format is doing this well, especially if you consider camera settings. one format which could do it would be FBX, but it is reduced to geometry only in FZ. DAE collada as well. i also found the exported data missing correct material settings. these are long term and reported issues with the exporter plugins. it seems to me the only format currently updated with each version was and is DWG. in my workflow, i am modeling geometry and assign all materials + layers in FZ, then export the scene, import it into C4D where i do the setup and then render with the octane plugin render engine.  the problem is: i cannot transfer my FZ scene as it is to C4D,  just the geoemetry + materials + layers and only by exporting to LWO first, then importing this format into C4D. all other exchange formats are not working as well, because they are missing layers, materials or even don't export geometry as well.

I don't think the ability to transfer CAD projects to 3D animation and rendering applications exists anywhere.

Keyshot and Simlab have live-linking to mainstream CAD, but rarely does this happen without requiring reorganizing of your scene, recreating materials cameras and lighting etc.

Vectorworks can send to Cinema 4D, but you will still have to reauthor your materials for Octane, edit lights and cameras etc. Any Animation will need to be done from scratch.

But this is how things are in any transfer between CAD and 3D.

VRML works well between FormZ and Cinema 4D. The Skp and FBX options are not so good.

Generally, I use STEP for geometry and everything else that is not modelling I do in Cinema 4D.

I would be happy if FormZ did not make a dogs dinner of object names, groups, components and layers when importing and exporting to Step.

It would be time to celebrate if FormZ could import and export instances without issue but Autodessys cannot even manage to get components right inside FormZ.

A working BIM solution via IFC is just wishful thinking on my part and perhaps a few others but not enough to make it a priority.