AutoDesSys

insert opening feature not working in v9

bbuxton

Sorry, it may have been something stuck in my scene.

I just got it to work now but cannot see what might have been different.

I cannot get it to fail now, even reopening the original scene.

Visually it was just drawing 2D rectangles not cutting the geometry.

Works now even with arrays.

If I am following what you are attempting.  So far it is working too.  I have never done it this way, Interesting.

Though, for the second move-multicopy.  Picking all the first row was tedious.  I think it would be better to generate your array, group them, then boolean.  Fewer steps.  Especially if you are going to use the new array tool.

72218774_ScreenShot2020-05-18at8_14_43AM.thumb.png.cdaa4c9f8d572b769f323ccd4f1db680.png

Thank you. The reason I try this way, is the openings calculate much faster than boolean subtraction. With so many holes (4929) it is a difficult boolean. This technique works well in 8.6 but seems to have issues in 9.04 etc. The issues are not always the same, even on the same geometry so, for now, a bit of a mystery.

Picking is very easy. Set pick type to hole, then window select over the whole object. This is great for removing openings of simple move and rotation. I wish the clone feature would work with this to allow local scaling and rotation etc. 

Another way is to create a 2D opening and create an array, then use the imprint tool. Carefully picking the single face representing the surface and extruding works well in 8.6 (not tried in 9.04 yet)

Edited by bbuxton