AutoDesSys

How to add custom jpgs to Material Palette

Bo Atkinson

I searched for a method to add my own, new,  customized jpgs to formZ, to use as a custimized materials…
The manual had: “Creating and editing materials” but did not mention adding customized images (jpgs).

In the really old days it seemed possible.

Can i replace a default formZ- Material  jpg with my jpg?  (I don't mind having the unrelated, default name kept).

I don’t need most of the default formZ material looks, so don't mind loosing such. Actually I would like to remove most of the materials I will never use, besides.

Bo

I guess I am confused as to what you are looking to do.  Creating custom materials with jpeg texture maps is one of the most basic functions of Form.z.  I see that you have been using this program for a while so I assume you know how to do this.  Are you looking to do something more specific than that? 

AW

I see now,  the only available procedure is through Bump Maps inside Material Parameters.  My approach was backward as one should simply consider customized-image insertion as a bump concept, specifically,  followed with texture editing, shading and color… Saving regular needs to “My Library”…

Like Andrew, I'm a bit confused too. It sounds like you want to use custom materials with jpgs of your own to a default file, so that when you open it up, the materials you want are already in the palette. This is accomplished through, of course, making the materials. Then creating a template file and making sure it's used on your preferences. I advice against this, because of the bad experiences I've had with preferences (very unstable formZ)

Now, if you're looking to simply create custom materials, attached is a simple screen capture.

Add your own jpg.png

Thanks Allanjl, Yes, in my third post, the jpg was brought into the custom material, but only through through the Bump Map Material parameter... If there is another route to get personal photos into materials, please indicate the key word to find inside the Manual (and save yourself writing out long explanations).... I found no other way but the bump map option gives excellent results, as material surfaces re 3d, inherently. The word 'bump' does imply 3d, so I reason this was a good word choice, as customized materials are likely to be textures, which also imply 3d.

Also, to keep personal modeling criteria, even materials  or plain colors, I keep them saved in project files. As my personal work varies so much in the many kinds of things I do.

Hi Bo,

You keep bringing up bump maps, and I guess this is where the confusion occurs. Bump maps, found on the bump tab, only affect the illusion of "bumpines" on the material. Whereas the color tab determines the texture map part of the material, which is the most prominent. I don't know where to find any of this on the manual, simply because I don't use the manual. But once you address all tabs in your material, (and click on the load buttom and load your textures) you should be good to go.

Allanjl,

Now that you have me looking again. I should add that getting a photo image into the Materials/ Material Type/ Shaded… And not necessarily into RenderZone, but i now see that RenderZone/ Materials Type/Renderzone  does have a Color Map under the Color tab. I did not notice that earlier as i was actually needing a raised sand texture for my work.  Initially i was keeping life simple, with the Shaded Render for my quick visualization needs. Shaded mode is great for that, allowing quick renders, while modeling proceeds.

Agreed, the bumps are sort of a 2d function internally, but they are mapped rather well for ordinary 3d visualization needs, (of ending up with a 2d output, not a 3d output, yes). Advancing physics is another issue, not mine, here.

My initial objective was how to get photo images into formZ Materials, to begin with. My thread attempts to explain, though a seek & find mode, how i discovered a solution for my need and how to second guess the terminology, (which i lacked at the outset).

The path i initially needed was: 
Material Parameters/ Material Type/ Renderzone/ Color/ Color Map   ...But actually  /Bump Map was better for this instance)

For anyone seeking, this gets photos into formZ Materials which can be saved and the bumps are great for raised textures.

Bo,

You can add picture textures to your materials under the shaded mode. Just hit F12 and you will get the materials palette. You don't need to be on the renderzone tab. Once you add your picture to your material, whether or not on shaded tab or renderzone tab, it will stay in your material. If you go to your materials parameters palette, as I show,  you can see how simple it is to add your own picture to your materials.

Archived