AutoDesSys

formZ models into Keyshot

snow

So instead of waiting for ADS/Luxion to make a link/plugin, or waiting for .fmz files to be opened directly into Keyshot, I decided to explore the best workflow for this process.

The thing I like about this is that there is very little work to be done in Keyshot, you can essentially import your model, drop in an HDRI, maybe change the lighting scheme and you have a rock-solid render in a matter of seconds.  

IMO Keyshot is much faster than Maxwell or V Ray and it is much simpler if you're looking for something out-of the box, but still produces stellar results.

Anyways, export your model as OBJ.  The options to change here are...

Export Method > Plain Objects > Smooth : AS FACETTED 

and check TRIANGULATE ALL FACETTED

When importing, the OBJ, set the UP ORIENTATION to Y, Materials and Structure > check KEEP INDIVIDUAL PARTS, and Group by MATERIALS.

The only thing to look out for here is that your formZ model should not have shared materials for objects that are to be different textures.  That is, don't set the same plain white texture for a brick wall and grass if you are not going to use different textures in Keyshot.  

After this you can keep the rendering or use any of the preset materials to improve accuracy.  Transparency doesn't translate, so these are best replaced within Keyshot.

Not sure if this will help anyone, or maybe it'll give people another reliable option for a renderer with formZ. 

Screenshots attached.

post-37070-0-65696900-1520968878_thumb.png

post-37070-0-24002100-1520968886_thumb.png

I have been using Keyshot to render all of my formZ models for almost a year with great results.  I export as an FBX with similar setting to what you are showing.  If you have two objects with the same material, you can unlink them in keyshot allowing you to apply different materials to them.  I have not however figured out how to change different surfaces of the same object to differing materials if I have not already mapped them in FormZ.   I do not have the pro version, so perhaps you can in that version. 

Hi Justin, 

Unfortunately all of my work that i've done using formZ + Keyshot has been for concept work at the office which is all confidential.  I have some work that was modeled in Rhino and then rendered in Keyshot, but I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to post that  :P

They have a demo version available that I would highly recommend trying if you have the time.  If I can, I'll try to find some old formZ models that aren't work related and render them out and post here  :)

• 4 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I am using Keyshot to render all my FormZ.  I need to use the older version of FormZ because the newer one does not export the maps correctly.  (9.0.6 works). I export as an FBX with facetted and triangulate all facetted on and it works great.  I have communicated with support, and if you use the new version of FormZ, you can't even import into FormZ with out the maps getting messed up.  They say it is on their list of things to fix.  My first inquiry into this was over a year ago.