AutoDesSys

Texture map axis confusion

AsOne

How do I figure out which axis to rotate within the texture map control editor.  X,Y,Z axis seem to change.  I rotate X 90 and it turns in a vertical direction at times.  I have to just use trial and error to figure out how to get the tool rotate facing the correct plane.  Rotation settings in the texture map controls is what I'm asking about.

post-31-0-49116500-1480530367_thumb.png

post-31-0-02322700-1480530373_thumb.png

I agree, except we still need a way to LOCK X,Y,Z to the World axis.  X should be able to always be the same as the World X, Y should be able to always be the same as the World Y, and Z should be able to always be the same as the World Z.  

I still do not understand why anyone would want Z to ever be anything but World Z, but AutoDesSys seems to think that is needed.  

Also, wouldn't it be amazing if the 'Align With Face' button actually worked every time to correctly Align with the face of angled and curved objects, and not just 'squared' objects?

I never seem to get "Align to Face" to work on anything.  

I agree, sometimes X is Z or Y is Z and it is infinitely confusing.  I have to go through the rotation settings randomly rotating in 90 degree increments to find the right combination to get the texture map to face correctly.  This is for rectangular objects - nothing fancy.

I want to know if I'm doing it wrong or it just simply doesn't work as I would hope it should.

Archived