AutoDesSys

Referencing other files

DJAB

Hi Guys,

You can probably tell, I'm a new user. I have a MicroStation background but really love FormZ.

Anyway, is there a referencing function in FormZ?

Think xRef for AutoCad / Referencing in MicroStation, where you can turn on or off an entire file, or the layers from that file? (Not to be confused with placing cells)

Really sorry if its a basic question. I'm sure someone will know what I mean...

Andy

Hi Andy,

When you Import a file, if you choose the Create Reference Object option, or once imported, if you select the desired objects and click in the screen with the Reference Object tool, this will create a single object that can be used to snap or otherwise build your 3d geometry.  Does that get you going in the right direction?

This is not exactly an XRef file -- but we will see if that can be added in the future.

Please let us know if you have any further questions, we would be glad to help.  ;)

Can't components be used for that?

I've done it before where I've imported a 2d cad file (albeit cleaned and cut down) as a component.

Then any changes to the referenced component are updated in the file in which it is placed.

I wouldn't do it with massive cad files with hatching, dims & text, other wise the file would be unworkable.

Thanks guys,

How do you mean from components?

If I import a cad file, it comes into Formz along with all of its layers, its effectively live inside of Formz at this point. Are you saying that if I import a component it will work as though a reference would?

I will have to try this later on at home.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Yes, it is not exactly the same, but you can select the imported data, and click in the screen with the Create Component tool.  This will then effectively embed the data as a separate FMZ file.

Right click the Create Component tool and choose Manual or Video for more details...

Perhaps in the future Autodessys could introduce a new file type which would be like a normal FormZ file, look and feel very similar but with extra functionality, and is dedicated to containing a project of many smaller formZ files. A bit like how groups work in a file but on a more industrial scale with extra management capabilities including project management incorporating a file system containing pdf, spreadsheets, csv and rich text files and even other documents. The special new file format could also handle design data management with powerful search function and audit trail to clarify the view and edit history of files globally and by project - I could imagine this being very useful for any business with more than one person using FormZ. Double clicking on a placement in the file would bring up a password box for limited access and opportunity to add information, and with appropriate permission, open the file to work on that part of the project. Not to be confused with Layout, although there could be some parallels. It could be sold as an optional extra tier.

Archived