AutoDesSys

Exporting to EPS size issues

DRice

Hello, often I do a hidden line drawing and then Export Image>EPS. I bring it into Illustrator and clean it up. 

The problem I am having is that the EPS file that I bring in are very large in dimension and often parts are cut off. How do you control how big it is? I don't see an option for that in the EPS export dialog.  I have tried changing Project Settings/Data Scale and zooming out, but still not sure what the parameters are that control the size. Thanks. -Derryl

post-253-0-08562300-1463597873_thumb.jpg

Hi Derryl.

The best idea  would be to make Layout from your model and export to Illustrator from there. In Layout you are able to control your scale.

Another way is to export either to DWG or DXF which are Illustrator compatible. You can select transformations from Export Dialog with these formats.

Best,

Anton.

I tried exporting Export>DWG & Export Image>DWG.  While trying to import either into Illustrator CS6, I get the error "The file "cube.dwg" is in an unknown format and cannot be opened". I tried my model and a simple cube.  

Export Image>DWG only gives the option to change the version of DWG. 

Thanks for the link to Google but the issue isn't 'how to to import something into Illustrator' but how to get it out of FormZ in a format that Illustrator can read.

I can import Autocad files from other programs into Illustrator successfully by saving them in 2007 or 2004 format. If I do that from FZ I get an error or just get a box with nothing in it. Perhaps it's Mac issue but It's probably a combination of options in the export dialog box which will require dozens of iterations of exports until I find one that will import correctly. I don't really have the time for that. In the meantime I will use the truncated eps files and redraw the missing parts.

If anyone on a Mac exports DWG from FZ to Illustrator, can you send me a screenshot of your export settings? Thanks. 

I can open it in Illustrator but the file is blank (or is it a simple plane?, hard to tell). I tried your settings with the exception of the Binary/MS DOS setting which is set to Mac and not changeable. I still get a blank file when opening in Illust. 

I also tried opening your file on another Mac computer but it was blank or a simple plane there as well. 

I am able to see the images now. There were coming in at .001 scale. I was told above not to scale to the page so I was wasn't seeing them. Still not a solution unless because everything comes in as Top View and not Hidden Lines as it was exported from in FZ. 

In the export/DWG/options/transformation I input the xyz as in project which was 60, 0, 30 and it just appears to move everything together at a different angle. See example.  

post-253-0-70934300-1463697413_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-19874500-1463697429_thumb.jpg

post-253-0-42418800-1463697445_thumb.jpg

Thanks, yes I am rescaling it but as I mentioned it cuts the edges of the model off.  Is there anything that can be done to increase the resolution during export? I often get a rougher export than what hidden lines shows. 

post-253-0-87971900-1463778797_thumb.jpg

Derryl,

That's strange.  If you increase the Display Resolution of the objects, you will get a finer Hidden Line representation, but we are not sure why you would have missing lines like you show.  Please email or post the .FMZ file so we can take a look and see what is going on here.

Does a higher Display Resolution help you get what you want?

Archived