AutoDesSys

where is option to snap to circle centre ?

Steve003

Hi,

I need to snap to a circle centre, either a drawn circle or as in my current case the centre of a circular hole in a thin solid.

In Rhino one hovers near the circle and cursor jumps to centre with 'cen' or some such indicator showing.

Steve

Hi,

I have that ticked but hovering near edge of this hole in a solid doesnt see it snap to centre. Model imported from Rhino and is a wheel rim with hole in centre.

I create a test solid in FormZ then boolean difference a hole using a cylinder, then select to draw a hexagon and see that I can get green spot ocuring at centre, though hovering near edge of hole doesnt snap to centre as in Rhino,

I attach here the hub , see that its not possible to e.g. draw a hexagon from the centre of the hole, no green blob occurs there when cursor is moved to the centre or hovered at the circle edge.

or I would but there is no upload button on the reply window to do so.

but when I revisit this post then there is an attach option, but then it rejects a form z file !!! crazy, so I winzip it, see the file, how does one snap to centre of the hole ?

...but also its not possible to go edit after a few mins elapse, so the chance to upload a file is somewhat elusive, and no way to revisit the initial post, can't edit that.

How does one upload the FormZ file to this reply ? I managed it this time whilst a revisit edit was possible. Why no fmz file upload though ?

Steve

Hub for snap circle centre fail.zip

Well I guess since there is "nothing to snap to" that wont work.

In your file try to pick the inner "segment sequence" of the hole, copy move it to the side by 1, this will give you the surface. (and the center point once moved back).

(You may also want to reverse direction on the imported rhino object for better appearance in FZ)

Hi Steve,

To post a JPG or ZIP file, use the More Reply Options button from the lower left (or edit and add to your post within 15 minutes as you did above).

(The forum software does not allow .FMZ files because they are not standard "web files" so as you have noticed, just zip them first.)

If the shape is Revolved in formZ, then there will be a center to which to snap, but as noted above, this center does not exist with the imported file you have posted.  And as noted, you can just draw a 3 point circle (or a segment from First Point to Midpoint) and then snap to the center (or midpoint) of that to get what you want.  

Do these suggestions from R2 and ENV help you get what you want?

Hi,

ok,

Strange that I can snap to circle centre of that hole in Rhino yet FormZ sees nothing, different tools and progs I guess.

Prior to your replies I drew a cross as circle centre in rhino and re-imported the entire model.

We seem to have a whole load more osnaps than Form Z has, things like quad, tan, end, knot, vertex, centre,

how does one snap to quad for example ? ( A circle has four quads, 12, 3 6 and 9 oclock positions.)

Steve

Archived