AutoDesSys

Further adventures in Thea (apologies for the wait)

jonmoore

Here's something that I think shows off the quality of Thea nicely. Don't bother with questions about render time as I wasn't going for speed on this, all I'll say is that it was well under an hour.  :)

There are no CG lights in the scene, all lights are Mesh Lights (Emitters in Thea speak). Some are used for effect behind the walls and others are invisible to the camera but help spread light in a natural manner (common technique for scenes of this type). I tweaked a small amount in post to tonemap and add the glow.

nTkc.png

Thanks for posting Jon and very impressive rendering and you say, 'within an under an hours time"!

Dan S.

It was well under an hour (CPU not GPU render, using the MC integrator). However, the reason I mentioned that the time taken to resolve is irrelevant, is because speed is not the only delight Thea has to offer. :)

All my Thea tests are using OS X with an AMD card (which isn't CUDA capable). But you can use Preto MC purely on the CPU and it provides excellent results and speed without too many compromises. The pure unbiased CPU engines - TR1 & TR2 would take considerably longer to resolve.

You know, this kind of stuff has been fairly scarce on this forum, at least to this level. Thanks Jon for posting this and really well done.

I appreciate your efforts with the tests in Thea, I've never used it but I think I may have to delve after looking at yours and Antons images.

:)

Des

You know, this kind of stuff has been fairly scarce on this forum, at least to this level. Thanks Jon for posting this and really well done.

I appreciate your efforts with the tests in Thea, I've never used it but I think I may have to delve after looking at yours and Antons images.

:)

Des

Cheers Des. I thought it would be cool to do something away from the world of archviz that was still relevant to those working in architecture. :)

It's also a bit of a torture test for a render engine to get a natural light balance on these types of enclosed spaces so a great test of Thea's capabilities too.

Really cool shot Jon!

I'm hoping the rest of us get to try our hands with Thea and V-Ray soon!  It's starting to feel like a race to the finish between these two awesome renders.  V-Ray already has it's own FormZ forum, but from the results you and Anton are putting up, Thea can't be far behind!

Competition is good for consumers!   B)

Really cool shot Jon!

I'm hoping the rest of us get to try our hands with Thea and V-Ray soon!  It's starting to feel like a race to the finish between these two awesome renders.  V-Ray already has it's own FormZ forum, but from the results you and Anton are putting up, Thea can't be far behind!

Competition is good for consumers!   B)

Like the proverbial bus, you wait for ages for a decent third party rendering solution for FormZ then two come along at the same time.

As you know from previous conversations I'm a huge fan of both V-Ray and Thea. If budget allows I think they complement each other really well. Thea is more accomplished at the moment as a GPU solution and V-Ray might be considered the more artist friendly because it has less restrictions regarding 'physically correct' workflows.

I love working in both but I am admittedly a self confessed hussy for all things resplendent in the world of rendering...   :)

Archived