AutoDesSys

8.5.3pro Display issue shaded work when moving in isolated mode

Alan Cooper

I often isolate objects to make changes to them, eg offset segment, reshape and copy operations, and probably more especially, dipping into wireframe to move segments.

I have been experiencing the following problem with 8.5.2pro on my old computer, but I had put it down to the old graphics card.

post-242-0-51329600-1454666342_thumb.jpg

In 8.5.3pro it persists on this much better computer, a Dell Precision M6700

If I move an object when in isolated view, it having been subjected to editing it as explained earlier; in shaded work display, it additonally also shows up in it's previous position, (like it leaves a rendered ghost) but without any selectable wire frame.

I wish there was a refresh button to get rid of this. It persists even after leaving the isolated view and doesn't disappear when panning or orbiting (set view).

To overcome the issue, I have to close the model and reopen it.

some screen captures attached.

Computer specs below.

More details about my computer
Component Details Subscore Base score Processor Intel® Core i7-3740QM CPU @ 2.70GHz 7.7 7.4   Determined by lowest subscore Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB 7.7 Graphics AMD (ATI) FirePro M6000 (FireGL V) Mobility Pro Graphics 7.4 Gaming graphics 9953 MB Total available graphics memory 7.4 Primary hard disk 144GB Free (233GB Total) 7.8 Windows 7 Professional
System     Manufacturer Dell Inc.   Model Precision M6700   Total amount of system memory 16.0 GB RAM   System type 64-bit operating system   Number of processor cores 4 Storage     Total size of hard disk(s) 829 GB   Disk partition (C:) 144 GB Free (233 GB Total)   Media drive (D:) CD/DVD   Disk partition (E:) 50 GB Free (98 GB Total)   Disk partition (F:) 114 GB Free (253 GB Total)   Disk partition (G:) 152 GB Free (195 GB Total)   Disk partition (H:) 29 GB Free (50 GB Total) Graphics     Display adapter type AMD (ATI) FirePro M6000 (FireGL V) Mobility Pro Graphics   Total available graphics memory 9953 MB         Dedicated graphics memory 2048 MB         Dedicated system memory 0 MB         Shared system memory 7905 MB   Display adapter driver version 13.152.1.1200   Primary monitor resolution 1920x1080   DirectX version DirectX 10 Network     Network Adapter Intel® Centrino® Ultimate-N 6300 AGN   Network Adapter Intel® 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection   Network Adapter Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network) Notes  

post-242-0-48206000-1454666312_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-18308300-1454666327_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-60573000-1454666370_thumb.jpg

Hi Alan,

We have run some quick simple tests and we have not reproduced any problems yet, but we will keep testing.  But a few quick questions while we are working:

1.  What is the Date of the Graphics Driver for the AMD (ATI) FirePro M6000 card?

2.  Can you reproduce the problem with only this simple test file?

Isolate.zip

One thing we tried here was to Isolate the two "beige" objects on the right, then select faces (pre-pick or post pick) and move the faces, or moving the entire objects, and this is not reproducing any issues before or after we Reveal the other objects:

post-5-0-82181000-1454669581_thumb.jpg

If you can reproduce the problem with our test file, do you have any additional / specific steps to cause this on your computer?

3.  Or if you can't reproduce the problem with our file, can you send one where you can reproduce the issue?

Hi Tech,

At first I could not get a reproduction, but in the end I did by adding two new cube type objects, in the same file, isolating them, copying them, reshaping them and slipping into wire frame and moving segments [self only topology] by amounts entered into the input palette. post-242-0-72673800-1454672955_thumb.jpgChanging back to shaded work showed up the issue. It remained an issue when exiting isolate objects.

Without putting more time into this which I cannot afford, it is hard to get an exact step by step to replicate it but it may have to do with starting with cube type object instead of 3d rectangle, certainly seems to happen with copies produced inside isolate mode, not sure if reshape or offset segment needs to be part of the history to achieve the problem, but certainly it happens immediately after moving segments [self only] on the copied object in isolated mode. As it didn't seem to occur on first attempt, maybe only happens after several move segment operations? The visual effect is realised immediately shaded work display is resumed after the segments move in wireframe. 

post-242-0-84486300-1454672968_thumb.jpg

So the latest driver is really from 2013?  Did you check if AMD has a newer driver that will work with your laptop?  And either way, do you still reproduce this issue?

(We have continued testing and everything is working fine for us...)  Or does anyone else reproduce what Alan is reporting?

Thank you Tech, I tried updating again, and this time using a different approach [the AMD site is confusing, various popups and not sure what to select, resulting in multiple downloads etc] anyway I now have all the Dell updates installed, including bios as well as a 2015 Graphics driver! and saved a system restore point for good measure.

After updating this, I tried the file again. Much improved, it took 10 minutes before I could get a misbehaviour to arise.post-242-0-42123600-1454689255_thumb.jpg

The good thing though is after I clicked wireframe view afterwards, having already exited isolate mode, that solved the problem without needing to close down the file to get a refresh.

If this continues at the current level, I would consider it to be no more than a minor irritation, much better than earlier.

Thanks for persisting that I update graphics driver. Shame both Dell and Windows think it was already current and that AMD do not make installation a smoother ride despite their auto detect wizard.

Isolate (2).zip

post-242-0-23560200-1454689271_thumb.jpg

post-242-0-01213700-1454689289_thumb.jpg

Hi Gary,

Ok, thanks for the info.  Do you have specific steps that reproduce this issue, or is it somewhat random?

And in the formZ 8.5.3 version, does unchecking the Preferences: OpenGL: Multi-threading option affect it?

I have a same problem as Gary. Shaded Work doesn't allways update until I change to Wireframe and back.

This has been the case long time.

System: formZ  8.5.3 (build 9795),Win 7 Pro, GeForce GTX 650 (driver 361.75)

Jaakko

Hi Jaakko,

Ok, thanks for the info.  We have tested this extensively and still not been able to reproduce this.  We will keep testing, but if anyone can determine a specific series of steps that causes this problem to occur, we will investigate this ASAP, and if we can reproduce it, we will get it corrected.

Archived