AutoDesSys

strange crashes in newly installed 6.7

brianharvey

Having recently had to upgrade my whole system: new iMac running 10.10.5 and updated to V8.5 along with 6.7 (working in 6.7 until I can find the time to learn 8).

It seems that if I import objects from my previous v6.3 projects, when I select an area to render on the new model it causes an instant and complete crash.

Having tried various ways to solve the problem (removing textures was my first idea) - It also seems that if two objects in the model are touching each other that also causes a crash!

Pulling my hair out slightly, very odd, didn't see any problems like this in all my time working on V3 and V6.3

Other information:

Install went fine - its a brand new mac so no anti virus installed, or anything else that I can think might have caused and issue.

Everything else seems to be functioning fine (modelling wise).

Have tried test renders on my existing models saved from the previous system and they are all fine too.. as long as I don't paste in additional objects from other models.

BUT.. and this is the part that really foxes me, if I do a 'full screen render' first - there is no problem. However, if I then move the imported object slightly and do a partial render of the area containing that object - it crashes again.

The same crash happens if I add a texture map to an object, or if an object is duplicated then partially rendered.

I've stripped out the model (although it seems to effect all of my models, even new ones started fresh on the new system) and attached screen shots to explain:

Image A - Renders fine, full screen and partial area

Image B - the small box has been moved and touches the taller box - Full screen renders Okay, but a partial render will now crash the whole prog.

post-16626-0-79250500-1452989848_thumb.png

post-16626-0-80210300-1452989855_thumb.png

You should have bought a PC.  Sorry, couldn't help that.  Sounds like an issue with your graphics card possibly or incompatibility between 6.7 and 10.10.5.  You won't hear from Autodessys until Tuesday so I might suggest a quick test.  I am assuming that you are doing this in 6.7 so launch 8.5 and see if you have the same issue.  If you look under Display on the top menu there is a Render Area Rectangle option.  That changed from 6.7 so try that first and see if you get the same issue. 

Thanks Andrew

Yes so far this has been all in 6.7

I had been think along the lines of 'try v8.5 to see if fault happens there too' - however when i installed version 8 - formz registered okay, but the renderzone plugin registration won't work. I've emailed operations and I'm waiting for a response to that too.

At the moment it renders in v8.5 but with 'trial version' watermarked on the render.

I had thought - worst case scenario I could bite the bullet and work through the migration excerices for 8 and hope to get back up to speed.

I'll try replicating the issue in V8.5 as you suggest in the morning (UK time here)

Hi Tech

Thanks for the swift reply.

Well after a quick test that seems to be the answer! Big sigh of relief - I'll just have to get used to working without Set Image size until I complete migration.

One other quick question - I can't remember how to turn the 'dong' sound off when you deselect objects. I even checked back when I originally asked in 2009... I thought it was in 'Pick Objects' menu, but I can't see it. (attached)

post-16626-0-34727100-1453041080_thumb.png

When I click onto the word 'Modelling' - nothing changes in the righthand window (now new option appear - just the same options as were there for the previous section.

The same happens for 'project' 'script' and 'system'

However I get options for animation, model type, radiosity and textures..

I must be missing something - I've just booted up the old version of 6.3 on the machine that was limping to see if it was in the prefs. there and I cannot find that set of options you posted on either machine, within preferences.

Brian,

For what it's worth - my experience with "render area" on 6.7 w/newer OSX is such:

If you have an object selected/highlighted, it will crash every time.

If nothing is selected, it will generally work. May still crash eventually, but I can't determine any specific trigger - may be related to the complexity of the model or doing "render area" too many times in a row. So I am still able to use it for the most part but always make sure to save beforehand.

In your test - when you rendered the intersecting boxes, is it possible the smaller one you moved was still selected? I'm not able to duplicate any particular crash with overlapping geometry. At any rate I'm glad to see some discussion in case there are other causes that can be isolated/avoided.

Brian,

For what it's worth - my experience with "render area" on 6.7 w/newer OSX is such:

If you have an object selected/highlighted, it will crash every time.

If nothing is selected, it will generally work. May still crash eventually, but I can't determine any specific trigger - may be related to the complexity of the model or doing "render area" too many times in a row. So I am still able to use it for the most part but always make sure to save beforehand.

In your test - when you rendered the intersecting boxes, is it possible the smaller one you moved was still selected? I'm not able to duplicate any particular crash with overlapping geometry. At any rate I'm glad to see some discussion in case there are other causes that can be isolated/avoided.

Hi Rich

Many thanks for reading - That seems exactly the case, it was the moving of objects combined with 'render area' - not the intersection or import of objects causing the issue.

Thankfully the new machine is so much faster that I can live with doing full screen renders (if the model is more complex I'll just turn AO and shadows off).

I was just a bit panicked in the early hours to find trusty old V6 acting so unstable! -And I'm sure if I had looked in the forum history it must have been covered before. Got my first job produced today though, so almost back to normal.

I've just got to face the V8 migration and get on with it soon!

... I'm sure if I had looked in the forum history it must have been covered before.

There was some discussion here FYI:

http://forums.formz.com/index.php?/topic/1963-desperate-plea-fz-67/

Not a lot of 6.7 holdouts at this point so not of much concern to too many people.

Apparently there may be some combination of hardware/OS where it doesn't crash, but it happens on every machine I've tried.

Thanks Rich 

I really had better get upto speed on 8.5 quickly then and not update the current OS until then.

I'm not sure I fully understand how the other user got round the issue he had with the OS reopening and hanging on the corrupted file - was that 're-open after crash' phased out after 'Lion' - I'm just looking for articles about it incase I need to be prepared too.

Other than the select area render though - is everything else fairly stable still? I've been working with the newly installed 6.7 on 10.10.5 all day and its been fine so far.

...Although I still cannot find that 'beep when deselecting' (a few posts up) option in my preference windows though! 

Hi Brian,

Well, that certainly is strange, the Beep option in v6 should be right above the Nudge options -- but it is not showing on your system for some reason.  We are not sure why a newer OS would not show all options -- but yet another reason to get up to speed with the current version as soon as you can.  Once you adjust to the improvements, you should be able to work a lot more quickly.  :)

Other than the select area render though - is everything else fairly stable still? I've been working with the newly installed 6.7 on 10.10.5 all day and its been fine so far.

...Although I still cannot find that 'beep when deselecting' (a few posts up) option in my preference windows though! 

I still use it quite a bit and have not come across any new bugs. Still some old ones - I always save before deleting segments/faces from an object, as that will cause a crash on occasion.

You sent me on a quest for the beep deselect... My modeling prefs behave the same as yours - the options are only under the subcategories. I checked on the Windows version and it is the same, so that is just a 6.7 thing, not OS related.

Anyway, if you double click the pick tool, you'll get a Pick Options window that has more choices than the one you get from the Palettes menu. I imagine this was a programming oversight, but at any rate the button you seek is there...

Brian

For what it is worth I am using 8.5 on a PC and I still keep a copy of 6.7  which I use on occasion.  When transitioning I used it a lot more when I was in a crunch and didn't have time to figure out where things were on the new platform.  The reason now for keeping 6.7 around are the old scripts that have not been re written for 8.5.  There are also some things that were considerably easier in 6.7.

Depending on what you are building you will discover them quickly

AW

Archived