AutoDesSys

Textures Increasing on Paste

DMclean

I have a model (from TurboSquid) of a tulip. Probably created in 3DS Max. I imported the 3DS file into formZ and all was well. Reduced the number of poly's and saved out a formZ model. Opened the formZ model and all seems fine. There was one material for the flower petals, one for the leaves, one for the stem, etc.

Opened another model, copied the flower and pasted it into the new model. Now suddenly I had multiple materials. One for each of the petals (even though they are using the same material), one for each leaf, etc... Same happens if I open the formZ model into the new one.

I can then go to the materials palette, delete each copy and select one of the same to replace it when asked, until I get down to one version of each, but that is rather a nuisance. Is there a way to prevent this from arising in the first place?

Thanks,

Doug

Here are the files...

Thanks,

Doug

While I'm on a texture theme, a file I'm working on has managed to get the Maxwell-Shaded-Renderzone Textures a little out of whack. Probably occurred because the Maxwell textures referenced a directory that had moved. Shaded seems to cope well with that, and pointing the Maxwell to the proper directory and updating solved all those problems. Render zone textures all defaulted their color do a default material (the cork I think). I had to go through each render zone Material and update them individually. It would be nice if there was an easy way to Sync Renderzone to Shaded. This is especially true now with new renderers coming on line. I discovered the whole problem because as I was testing Thea, all my Maxwell materials were coming out strange in spite of the fact that Working and Shaded GL all looked fine (taking the maps from Shaded, but the Renderzone map overrode that when Thea went to translate.

I guess I can envision an instance where being able to have RZone and Shaded not using the same maps would be useful, but it would be nice to be able to sync RZone to match shaded (and hence Maxwell and Thea) with one button.

This was especially frustrating because this was in a very large model with lots of textures, and it was literally taking two minutes with each button press as I chose a material and had to refresh it.

Looking forward to the improved speed in Mat Editor in the next version.

LP_Tulips.fmz.zip

Textures.zip

Hi Doug,

Thank you for posting the files.  We have been testing them following your instructions and have yet to reproduce any issues with material duplicating, but we will continue investigating.  Were there any other steps used to produce the duplicate materials (other than a simple copy and paste)?

Looks like it has something to do with the Thea Render Plug-in. I managed to create the problem with the file I sent you, then removed the plug-in and was able to cut and paste without creating the extra copies of the textures. I shall report it to them.

Thanks,

Doug

Related to this. I emailed a file to formZ support maybe a couple of weeks ago. The file contained 3 components. The materials order in the palette would default to a certain order after the file gets reopened. Annoying if you like to keep your materials neatly arranged. I never got a response about this issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Doug,

A workaround for this issue is if you save the new project in within the correct file search path before you paste the objects, formZ will find and display the proper textures.  Also, if you save the new project (in the correct file search path) after paste, close and reopen, the textures will appear. 

We are working for a better way to handle textures in these situations.  Thanks for you report.

Archived