AutoDesSys

Disable material preview generation

Imagix

It becomes slow when there is high resolution textures/alphas on materials. Currently I am importing about 300 models with hi-res textures from another source, so in this specific case it would be nice to be able disable the preview generation temporarily.

It becomes slow when there is high resolution textures/alphas on materials. Currently I am importing about 300 models with hi-res textures from another source, so in this specific case it would be nice to be able disable the preview generation temporarily.

With that number of models with hi-res textures it's understandable that slowdowns are likely.

This is guesswork on my part but I think it could also be a case that the materials engine isn't keeping up with the needs of modern high resolution texture workflows. It's not uncommon for models to use multiple 4k or even 8k maps these days and I think it's possible this pushes the current engine to it's limits (especially with scenes containing multiples models of this nature). Even with high end DCC packages such as Maya they've had to put a lot of effort into the manner in which material preview caching is handled.

As I say though, this is purely an educated guess on my part but the feature request of disabling material preview generation seems reasonable to me.

AC1000,

Highly compressed JPG images may be small, but the time it takes to decompress them can be considerably more than using an uncompressed image.  If you save that as an uncompressed TIF, does that work any faster for you?  Also, it is not the size of the image, but the number of pixels that will affect the resolution and performance.  What are the pixel dimensions of your image?

As noted above, if anyone has an issue that is slower than they would like, if they can send the file, we will check this out and see what we can do to improve this.

I have investigated the issue carefully and the symptoms are following:

When activating the Edit Texture command and then the site, moving and scaling controller appears normal. But then the process turns very very clunky. After playing and spending time with controller the whole process turns normal and fast. But it takes about 30 sec - 1minute. This must be some kind of graphic card issue.

I can send the file. It is about 60 mb. Where should I put it?

If the file is too big to email, you can use any of the internet delivery services like www.dropbox.com, or you can upload it to our FTP site:

name = dropbox
password = i8ugdl

If you have trouble logging in to the FTP site, please use a specific FTP client, such as FileZilla (Mac or Windows):  

If you do upload it to our FTP, please send us an email reply once the upload is complete and let us know the name of the file you have uploaded so we know to check it

Archived