AutoDesSys

fixing a broken solid

archigraphica

The link is to a file that's an example of an issue we're having many problems with.  It's a solid object that has been converted to a surface solid and is missing a face . How do you add the face back and make it a solid again?  In Cinema4D this is a simple "close polygon hole" command where you just touch the hole and it fills in. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vxunww4n9ms70j3/fixme.fmz?dl=0

thanks,

Thanks.  I've never changed that number (or even knew that's what it was for)  but that worked .  Why is it set at a default of 4? Object doc is a nice band-aid to the bad geometry that is often produced with all the smooth modeling but it doesn't allow me to go in and focus on one area to get it to do what I want.  

That was a small, simple piece of a complex roof.  In 6.7 we would draw a new 2D face and "Stitch" the 2 together to make a solid.  That still seems to work but adds a step.  Shouldn't having the "insert" and "join to existing" activated do the same thing?  Or even better a fill in missing face command?

That setting determines what parts will be fixed (only those holes with numbers between (inclusive) of the min and max numbers will be fixed so you can control what is fixed and what is not.

You can just Fix with the Doctor (and the right settings for your object), or draw and Stitch will still work as well.

So the doctor worked on that one.  Here's another piece of the roof. (keep in mind these are made 100% in FormZ 8.5) This has a number of issues.  First off I can't boolean the yellow solids from the main green roof.  Second I'm trying to add the facia detail to the orange colored roof gable.  One the rest of it I was using the offset segment command and then reshaping it out 2".  I have piece on but now can't get it do anything.  The object doctor doesn't show any issues, how come?

thanks, 

roof.zip

Hi Archigraphica,

Your file has quite a few problems.  Many of these can be fixed automatically but not all.  If we run the Object Doctor, these are fixed:

post-5-0-00005600-1443185095_thumb.jpg

However, there are still crossing faces in quite a few places:

post-5-0-49022500-1443185095_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-03193200-1443185096_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-27713400-1443185094_thumb.jpg

You may be able to move / delete geometry and repair / replace / stitch good parts back in, but with this many problems it will take a fair bit of work.  

Archigraphica,

It should be as easy to create good geometry, or fix bad geometry in v8 and it is in v6.  If you find any cases where this is not true, please send a file and let us know the steps that are not working as you would like.

Archived