AutoDesSys

Reshape Polygon Question

Bo Atkinson

RE:  

My question concerns the action starting at 20 minutes...  

It shows a click on top surface of polygon with reshape tool, to 'grow' another section...

I cannot seem to get the same results in V8.5 pro, (using same settings).

Instead, just one segment will high-light when the Reshape tool is clicked on the top of my poly. I even drew a simple poly like the vid to see if i could reproduce the vid results. This effort resulted, just as i have described.

Sorry, i'm just now, finally, catching up with subdivision uses, (in this case a minor use).

I'm modeling a precisely shaped counter top (1"or 2cm thick) and find subdivision tools fabulous...  However, the edge seems a bit thin, if immediately derived from a facetted, ("C"-shaped),  poly object and therefore seems to need  an additional outline, first  added in between top and bottom surfaces, in order to get proper controls, for the thickening adjustment, of the counter edge.  The rounding features of subdivision edges are a huge improvement over plain-smooth or facetted, thanks for that!  

I'm still at the stage of determining optional strategies for work flows with these new tools. The  vids seem to focus on an elaborate, re-shaping-styles of workflows, whereas i feel it is essential to do a lot of elaborate, primitively-facetted, polygon shaping, before using the subdivision tools.

I should have been more precise: I'm asking about the 20:40 part of the vid.  The Reshape tool is active and just one click produces the extra band which grows out of the top. Thereafter, the new set of facets will give many more control points for shaping the edge, in my case.   

Your note about clicking two segments does work, while the vid only needed the one click. Also i had to check the  "keep edges" in order to create the new band or tier of facets.

Thanks

Archived