AutoDesSys

Can't escape Sub-D

DMclean

Well, I can tell you all it's really a mistake to accidentally type 80 into the Iterations value rather than the Sharpness value of Sub-D... 64G of RAM just gets immediately consumed and the drives start thrashing away trying to provide enough virtual memory for the operation.

Alas, no combination of Escape keys could get me out of it, other than choosing Force Quit. Must pay more attention to where I'm typing.   :unsure:

I mean I know Apple's Headquarters are at 1 Infinite Loop in Cupertino, but really it would be nice to be able to escape.

Thanks,

Doug

MacPro Yosemite formZ 8.5 etc, etc, etc....

Rob,

Here's a file that consistently shows the problem for me. Chose the object, hit sub-d. Comes up no problem. Tool options read 3 Iterations, 0% Sharpness. Instead of typing 80% in the Sharpness box I unfortunately entered 80 in Iterations and hit Enter. RAM maxes out and starts looking for Virtual (not unexpected with that many iterations). But, when I try to escape I can't get out of the process. I used to have the same problem with hidden line renders, but that got fixed in the official release of 8.5.

Might be a Mac related thing, or possibly a 2 Processor machine thing, not really sure. I run into it with a few of the tools and usually by accident. Not usually often enough to be a problem, just an annoyance, especially when I do it after just having done 29 minutes of intense work since the last 30 minute Autosave...

Doug

Sub-D.fmz.zip

Archived