AutoDesSys

texture maps from lost one cpu to another?

AsOne

I could open my v7 files on my desktop cpu at work and then copy the files to my laptop and open them at home with all the texture maps in place.  

The new v8.5 files open on my laptop, but any material that has a referenced image map has lost connection to the image map and displays as a plain grey color.  I know how to save the file and export all the texture maps into a folder.  I could then copy the maps to my laptop and relink them all.  However, that is a huge pain and not what I recall from v7.  

I am on Mac OS 10.9.5 and have "Keep Textures" option checked.

Even when I bring my laptop to work and connect directly to the server and open one of the files - the image maps do not show up.  Am I missing a setting somewhere?  All of this was working seamlessly in v7.

Oddly two of my three new files work, with exception of one map.  The other file has a few textures that work and a few that do not.  I will send next week if I can't figure it out.  Deadline tomorrow so I will just relink the few maps on the laptop for the "live" walkthrough.  

Also losing maps upon shutting down my laptop and restarting.  Some maps lost that were working just fine.   I will investigate this weekend if I can.  It definitely was not ideal this morning during my live walk through with a client to have lost a lot of texture maps.  

I am now losing texture maps across multiples files, both on my laptop and my desktop.  Files have been stored locally and also on the server.  Mac OS 10.9.5

Today I was working on a file on my server at work.  A v7 file converted to v8.5.  At first everything was working perfectly.  I had opened and closed the file a few times.  No issues in modeling or with texture maps.  Then FormZ crashed and when I reopened the file some, but not all, texture maps were missing.  These files were uploaded to your dropbox as Willow-textures working.fmz and Willow-textures NOT working.fmz

I did notice a font issue upon reopening the file (which never was the case in the v7 version), however I'm having these issues with other files that have no font problems.

I have worked on the v7 of this file for several years with no issues to texture maps (the project is having a hard time being approved by the local government).  I copied the v7 files back and forth from server to laptop many, many times without any issue.

I was also working on another file:  Copied v8.5 files, including texture maps, from my work server to my laptop.  Relinked all missing texture maps.  Everything was now on one hard drive/cpu and the files were working as expected - no issues.  I was able to open & close FormZ 8.5 just fine - files still worked.  Shut down cpu.  Next day, woke up and opened the files...some, but not all texture maps are lost.  ???

I will upload these next week or this weekend if I can.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for sending your files.  Ok, there are 2 things going on here:

1.  formZ 7 uses a file path method that is no longer supported under Apple's current 64 bit development, so we had to use a different method with formZ 8 (and later) to define these paths.  If the files are not stored in the Project Folder (or somewhere else where a Preferences: Search Path does not exist), then the files will need to be relinked once in v8, and then resaved.

2.  You didn't send the textures, but if you are referring to the Shaded Display, the file you say is working has the Keep Texture option on:

post-5-0-93049100-1441737046_thumb.jpg

The file that is not working has the Keep Textures turned off:

post-5-0-22530000-1441737047_thumb.jpg

If you are using AutoSave, currently this will save with the Textures option off to make the file save faster and smaller, so if the files aren't properly linked in the first place (per #1), then they will not show in the autosave file is reopened.  But all you should have to do is to link them properly once (in v8 or later) and then they should stay properly linked.

If the textures are properly linked in formZ 7, you might open the file there, use the Save A Copy As command to save it, and all its textures into the same folder as (the formZ 8 version of) the file, and then the default search paths should automatically find all the images for you (in 7 or 8).

Does that help?

Ok I get it with the v7 to v8.5 transition...I need to relink the maps and save in v8.5 once.    This was a v7 file that upon opening in v8.5 worked, then later after closing and reopening lost textures.  I always use Autosave.

However, are you saying that once a file is properly saved and linked in v8.5 (with Keep Textures ON set) -  Autosave will turning Keep Textures OFF?!?  I hope that is not the case, because I always work with Autosave on.

Hi Paul,

Yes, the AutoSave will turn the Keep Textures (embedded in the file) off currently, but as long as the external image files are where they were when they were linked and have not been moved, deleted, or renamed, then they will stay properly linked, the textures will continue to show, and you can turn the File Menu: Project Settings: Project Files: Keep Textures back on again if you like.  Perhaps if you set the Autosave to save to a separate file, and only use that if you have some other issue, this will make it easier?

So am I understanding this correctly:  

I save an 8.5 file with Autosave ON and Keep Textures ON.  Then when I copy to my laptop - Keep Textures will be turned OFF, because Autosave is ON.  The only reason to use Keep Textures is copying the file to different cpu's right?  So essentially if I want to use Keep Textures I can't use Autosave anymore?  

Is this correct?

Paul,

If the image texture files are there, then it does not matter if the textures are embedded in the file.   If the textures are not there but they are embedded in the file, then they will be displayed in Shaded Modes, but will still need to be available (or recreated) for RenderZone or any other render or export.  

If the images are linked properly, the status of the Embed Textures is irrelevant -- AND we already said we would make it an option for Autosave in the future.  

You do NOT need to Disable Autosave -- just set it to save to a separate file -- and / or keep your images properly linked.

EDIT -- it looks like you removed many of your questions after we replied -- but the answer above should still apply to your current question...

but if I copy my v8.5 file to my laptop or any other cpu that isn't linked directly to where my maps are stored - using Autosave will the maps go with it?  Not the actual image files, but the embedded textures so I can see them in Shaded modes?

yes I edited it because I didn't want to sound to pissed...rather I'm confused and want to figure it out.

Please correct me if I'm still not understanding correctly...

Now I have to have duplicates of ALL my FormZ files on my server?  Not really what I want to do.  Might work for some, but not something I desire.

Correct me if I am wrong but in v7 I could use Autosave and it would not turn OFF Keep Textures?  

I used to have no problems working on my work server with Autosave ON, then copying the file to a USB stick (or emailing or Dropbox) to transfer the file to my laptop.  I would open the file on my laptop and the maps were all there - without having to physically copy the individual texture maps.

I just tested a new file.  Copied a v8.5 file onto a USB stick with Autosave ON and Keep Textures ON.  Opened on my laptop.  No linked textures.  Oddly though Project Settings shows Keep Textures is still checked....but the maps are not showing on screen.

Isn't that the point of Keep Textures?  So one can move between computers without always copying the maps also?  Essentially Autosave no longer works with Keep Textures.  Which leads me to think that I need to disable Autosave as I constantly need to go back and forth from my desktop server cpu to my laptop and back again.  It was seamless in v7.  

Again unless I am misunderstanding things - here is my official request to unlink the Autosave & Keep Textures options.  Either have Autosave not effect the Keep Texture option at all OR offer an option in Autosave to link it to Keep Textures or not.  I can't see why I would need the option though.  Seems I either want to use Autosave or not.  And I want to use Keep Textures or not.  I get that not having embedded files makes a smaller and faster loading file.  And I know that if I do a Save a Copy As command I can save the image files also.  Isn't the point of Keep Textures that I don't have to do that?  If I need the option of a smaller, faster loading file I won't turn on Keep Textures!

Why is Autosave and Keep Textures now linked?  

Paul,

Keep Textures is currently off in Auto Save to make smaller files that save faster, but we have already said multiple times that we will make this a user selectable option for the future.

As we suggested above, please set Auto Save to save to a COPY of your original file, and / or manually save the file before you quit.  Then you should not have any issues until the option can be added.

Ok I see that you said that.  Sorry I missed that.  So for now if I want to use Autosave AND Keep Textures I need to save it as a separate file.  The .fmz file should have Keep Textures ON and that is the file I would copy to my laptop.  If something crashes I go to the .fza Autosave file and open it.  Then I have to manually set Keep Textures back to ON if I save over the crashed .fmz file of the same name.  

Thanks for sorting out my options.  I'm not sure I will go with Autosave copy route, but rather will opt to not use Autosave for now.  Most likely given I'm busy and have multiple projects going at once...I will probably forget to recheck Keep Textures, take the file to the laptop and have textures missing.  

Thanks for laying out the options.  Appreciate the rapid response and glad I know what is going on now.  However, I hope this comes as an 8.5 update and doesn't have to wait until version 9.   

Archived