AutoDesSys

8.5 textures in Shaded Full not turning on

AsOne

I just downloaded 8.5 today.  Looking forward to using the new tools!

When I turn Shaded Full textures off, then back on - they won't come back on.  I have to save and reopen the file to see them again.  I tried clicking and unclicking lots of Display settings and toggling between other render modes to no avail.

I also still crash my CPU if I choose Massive settings for a large file.  For a small file with just a few simple objects it seems to work.  Could this be my Intel 4000 graphics card or simply a problem with Massive shadow map?  

Did you improve Shaded Full shadow quality at all?  The shadow edge quality is still too jagged up close, but some of the other wavy discrepancies I found earlier seem to be gone.  Though I am early in testing.  Overall the Shaded Full render quality is much improved if I compare 7 to 8.5 side by side.  Much more natural in appearance, lower contrast and less graphic an image than 7.  However, edge improvement would still be very much welcome as when I get up close to a shadow it is very noticeable...as in a few feet away.  The shadow is also lighter where it meets an object, which makes some objects look they are floating above the ground (when in fact they touch the ground).  This also happens closer up and with smaller objects (a few inches or less - e.g. railings) it is worse.  I will post some images later.  

Losing the input box while panning and/or putting down a guideline still present (since v7 beta).  

MAC OS 10.9.5.  Mac Mini 2012 quad core with Intel 4000

Intel 4000 is less than the minimum recommended video.  Don't choose max settings with that.

I found that if you turn textures off, they stay off until you turn them on and either change the preview of the material (from cubic to flat or sphere), or save, close, and reopen the file.

Looks like an issue that needs to be addressed...

Hi Paul,

Yes, we have verified that turning textures off in Shaded Work or Shaded Full requires saving, closing, and reopening the file to make the textures visible again (or making any adjustment to a material with a texture like changing the preview style as Rob notes).  Thanks for your report, we will get this corrected.

There have been some improvements to the Shaded Full Shadows, but there may be extreme cases where you may see some shadow artifacts, and we are looking into these.  Turning off Shadow Casting for ground planes, or objects that are far away from the scene will improve this, as will using larger shadow maps.  Your Intel HD 4000 video is less than half the recommended video card, but even so it should not crash when choosing Massive maps.  (Instead the shadows should simply drop out if the card can't handle the requested resolution.)  Perhaps you can update your video driver (which can happen by upgrading your OS) and that will solve the issue?

Thanks for those tips...they have been pointed out before, but I forget to implement them.

I know the Intel 4000 sucks.  So do you think moving to OS 10.10 Yosemite would help?  I think I'm on the most current 10.9 version.  At some point I will pull the plug on a new machine.

FYI:  Massive does work with a small test file, but when using a house I have modeled (still only a 10MB file) it crashes.  It also locks my entire CPU.  Force Quit won't work, I need to manually turn off the computer.  However, the Massive shadow setting helps a lot with the shadow edges so it would be nice to be able to use it.  

I will post next week with a detailed shadow report and send the file that is crashing.  

Definitely improved enough that I'm ready to upgrade.   :)

Archived