AutoDesSys

drawing lines perpendicular to ref plane v8

pipo

This is just not working at all

Objects are constrained correctly when moving perp. to ref plane with shift/command (mac)

Drawing a 2 point line horizontal to reference plane , after second click constrain with shift/command but the line

is drawn perp to the cursor position , not the second click.

Also the single "click" to complete a perp to ref plane line does not result in a segment.

Known issue ?

Although i've not used formZ much lately…   I do seem to get the perpendicular mode by default, or the toggle seems reversed. (such that i have to invoke the perpendicular command, through short cut key, in order to draw on grid).

Hi Pipo,

Yes, tapping the Ctrl or Command key to toggle the perpendicular when drawing a vector line will toggle it at the current cursor position.  So if you want to draw a 2d vector line perpendicular to the plane, click to start the line, tap the key, and draw straight upwards.

Alternately, if you only want a 2 point vertical segment, use the vector line tool with the Extrusion option, and double click to start (and finish) the line.  Then you can either dynamically determine its height, or uncheck Dynamic to automatically extrude it a preset height.

Does that work for you as described, and does that allow you to get what you want?

It is expected that activating the Perpendicular while drawing would execute that based on the cursor location.  If you don't want it to be offset, simply don't move the cursor a significant amount...

I need to draw a perpendicular to plane line every so often. Invariably, I always need to consult the manual to remember the procedure. Even then, it's hit and miss to get the correct combo of keys & pallet selections  It should be simpler than this. Why not a more direct tool? I usually just construct a box on the plane and derive & move the perpendicular line from that.

Archived