AutoDesSys

FormZ -> Maya

DRice

Hello, does anyone have a useful workflow for getting files into Maya?  I have tried exporting a simple sphere from FormZ as .OBJ and .DXF but I always get an error (//Error: line 0. Error reading file.) Even tried exporting with all of the lights, camera views and unused materials deleted but no difference. 

I downloaded several files from TurboSquid.com as test and all of the .OBJ files imported into Maya without issue (I don't know what they were created in originally). 

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. -Derryl.

Thanks Rob! I had the Triangulate all faces checked for both. The .DXF option for format was grayed out but set to Mac. 

.OBJ with Unix was the key, not the most intuitive solution but it Imported fine. Thanks.

This works:

post-253-0-74158100-1431299942_thumb.png

• 1 year later...

This no longer works. I have tried dozens of objects exported from FZ to Maya with the above settings (a cube or sphere work but nothing more complex).

I also made sure that I ran the Object Doctor on each one but I get an error importing into Maya. It is always "index out of range for face creation."

Is anyone else successful trying to bring OBJ files created in FZ 8.5 on a Mac into Maya 2016?  Thanks. 

Hi Derryl,

I work on a Mac and have a solution for bringing OBJ files into Maya.  It involves using another 3D application called MOI 3D to create the OBJ files.  You can download a demo here: www.moi3d.com

Import your FormZ models as STP or SAT and export as N-Gons (Quads) from MOI 3D as OBJ.  It's a pain adding this extra step, but I've researched several 3D applications on the Mac/PC and MOI 3D creates the best perfectly clean pure quad geometry for OBJ files. 

Hope this helps.

Thanks. Jeff

Thanks Jeff, in the meantime I discovered something similar. I found this site: http://www.greentoken.de/onlineconv/and converted the OBJ files to OBJ. I know it sounds odd but every file I converted imported into Maya successfully. I delved into it more and discovered that the FZ files are exporting information with zero width.

In the Maya error log it tells you which line is causing the problem. I opened the OBJ in a text editor and sure enough there are 2 points of the poly in the same place. You can just add 1 to it and it works or finds the next one on import. 

post-253-0-28652400-1464753746_thumb.jpg

Hi Derryl,

Can you please copy only the problem object into a new project, save, zip, and post that here so we can see what you are doing to cause this?  

If we can understand how this is happening, we can then investigate it further and report back...

Archived