AutoDesSys

Underlay image in Wireframe

Andrew West

Has anyone figured out how to get a background image to show up in wireframe mode?  In 6.7 it worked just fine using the underlay tool.  Now in 8 the we are using the display palette to show underlays and that option is only available in shaded mode.  I have a site that is staked out and I need to place the model exactly on the image.  I can not see the stakes in shaded mode.

Hi Andrew,

A quick way to work around that is to Select All, go to the Attributes Tab of the Pick Options, and uncheck Render As Shaded Surface (or you can use a Layer or Layer Group Override to do this).  Then you can see your stakes when using the Match View tool.  Then just recheck that option when your view has been matched.

Hopefully we can add a Background Image option to the Wire Frame too in the future.

That is not what I am trying to do.  I use that for building models over the top of hand drawings or photos.  What I am trying to do is match the view of a model to a photo in wireframe.    The solution that Tech gave is adequate.  My solution was to back save to 6.7,  set the correct view using the underlay tool and then open it again in V8. 

Hi Andrew,

The new Match View tool is a lot better than what v6 has -- so you should try this when you get a chance.  As long as you have a real photo (and not one that has been stretched or skewed in Photoshop) you should be able to easily align any object that has foreshortening with this feature.

I just found that tool after a bit of searching.  Played with it  a little bit to get the model aligned.  Didn't like the results so I hit the reset button.  Immediately crashed the program.  One thing that I will say for sure about version 8,  it is not as stable as 6.7 which will go down as the most stable build you have ever created.

Archived