AutoDesSys

V7 - having a hard time with drafting

-andrew-

Hi all-

I need to create some drafted dimensioned drawings, and I'm having a hard time understanding how to get the drawing to be at scale (e.g. 1/4" = 1 foot with a ledger size paper) and also how to control the size of the dimensions so they're not huge!

Any help appreciated.

thanks,

Andrew

Ok - that helped a little, just in the sense that I saw how cross-sections will be either 2D or 3D depending on how they're placed onto the page.

I am good with page size and scale of drawing now.

Currently, I'm trying to figure out how to cross-hatch or solid-fill the "cut" edges in a cross section....

thanks,

Andrew

Eh... not sure about that - I don't want the whole object hatched, just the planes that show up when clipped.

And not just hatches - solid fills.

So, I could have white walls, but in 2d, when clipped, the cross section is dark gray.

Can that be done?

[edit] Also - can't figure out how to get the cut objects to appear solid in Layout, if that's possible.

hatches_zps1mr4q0rv.jpg

I think you want to select the object, go to the attributes tab, and select 'Cross Section' from the first drop down menu and you should get all the options you are looking for.

and re Also, - do you mean is there an option to have a specific object ignore the clipping plane? idk, but might be interesting...

Thanks!!

I'll try that out tonight.

The other thing I was referring to is getting something other than wireframe in layout view - for example, I'd like to be able to use a clipping plane, and see the cut edges hatched (or a solid color) and the rest of the visible part of the object correctly shaded based on the object's color.

I would indeed also like to have objects ignore the clipping plane if possible. It's not imperative but I can see how it could be handy.

cheers

Andrew

I think you want to select the object, go to the attributes tab, and select 'Cross Section' from the first drop down menu and you should get all the options you are looking for.

and re Also, - do you mean is there an option to have a specific object ignore the clipping plane? idk, but might be interesting...

Hi Andrew,

Yes, by using the Cross Section Attributes, you should be able to get what you want.

If you wish to show rendered images in Layout, Export them as an Image, and then use the Image Frame command to place it.

Ignoring a clipping plane is not currently an option for objects, but we can consider this for the future if you think it would be useful.

If you place a frame and load a view from a model, I think you also need to turn on the clipping plane separately. This should give you the section cut with a distinct lineweight for it and the lines behind the geometry cut will not display. This way at least you can snap to the lines.

Also, it appears there is an option to display hatches from the model, but it doesn't work for hatches from the clipping plane for some reason.

layouthatches_zpsvv0osmd4.jpg

A little progress, but hatching appears to be broken...

If (in modeling) I select an object and set a hatch, it works. If I select a different hatch, the hatching disappears and I can't get it to show up again.

2nd question - just, basically, is it possible to show anything other than unshaded wireframe views in Layout without using a picture?

thanks!

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

The Layout mode is based on the Hidden Line display with various options for how this is displayed:

post-5-0-86957100-1425390645_thumb.jpg

Therefore, if you want a shaded / rendered image, you need to use an image file.

On some computers there can be an issue using the Image based hatches, but the "regular" Linear hatches should be working fine.  If you are having any issues with these, please send a simple file where you are having the issue so we can take a look and help further.

Archived