AutoDesSys

desperate plea - FZ 6.7

SJD

Hi

I have a big problem and a tight deadline - I am using FZRZ 6.7 on os x 10.8.5

I have been getting repeated crashes using "set image size" - I think this has been an issue for a long time hence the reason it was changed in later versions.

However, the major problem I have now is that when I restart FZ after a crash it automatically tries to open the previous files I was working on. One of the files has become corrupted so each time I launch it just hangs trying to open the corrupt file. Why is it trying to open it automatically? it's so infuriating.

I don't know if there is a pref file I could delete or whether I need to reinstall again

I'm on a real tight deadline and could really do with some help

thanks in advance

steve

It may be an OSX thing trying to re-open files after a crash. Try these:

http://www.mactip.net/stop-lion-restoring-previous-files-apps/

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20894463/disable-osx-mavericks-do-you-want-to-try-to-reopen-its-windows-again-popup

With regard to Set Image size, it will crash every single time if you have an object selected. Without anything selected, it seems to work OK but I still make sure to save my file first.

cheers guys

I have managed to sort for now by ditching the old preference file and creating a new one

I will look into it further when I have more time (that set image size bug is a pain though)

thanks

thanks Rich,

it does seem that it's os x that is opening previous files not FZ. It seems a totally stupid feature with no single clear fix.

"Close windows when quitting" selected is ok so long as the program doesn't crash - I'll try out some of the other methods

any one else have this problem in os x 10.8 onwards?

cheers

steve

Hi Steve,

Glad you got the OS X issue sorted out.  We are also not reproducing the crash you mention with the Set Image Size.  Can you send a file where you reproduce this so we can test this here and see if there are any other suggestions we can make with that old version of formZ?

Hi Tech

will do - I am managing ok at the moment - the crashes happen frequently but I have not had one today

everything I have been working on so far was created in 6.6 so I'm not sure if that would have anything to do with it. I recently upgraded to v.8 but haven't had a moment to get up to speed so I am using 6.7 for now (because I had to upgrade os x)

I will send you a file asap

thanks as always

steve

We are also not reproducing the crash you mention with the Set Image Size.

I have this bug on every system running 6.7 with Mavericks (probably 4 of them including a 2013 Mac Pro and 2014 Macbook Pro.) I installed 6.7 on one system with Yosemite (older Core2Duo) with the same results. I'm pretty sure I have reported this either via the forum or email and you were able to reproduce it. The impression I got is that there is little to no chance of fixing it either due to it being an Apple driver bug or no further updates to 6.7

Start a new file, draw anything, select it, do a Renderzone image with Set Image Size and draw a box around the selected item. Crashes every time.

If you can't reproduce I will try to dig up the prior communication and/or send files and crash reports.

Rich.

Hi Rich,

Ok, yes, we did find a computer where this happens.  From the crash log it looks like that option is just not compatible with Set Image Size with Selected Objects with the newer versions of OS X in some cases.  

In that case, the solution is to either use the old version of formZ with an older version of OS X, or use the newer version of formZ.  

(Or, just make sure objects are not selected when using that option.)

Hi Rich,

Ok, yes, we did find a computer where this happens.

Do you have Mavericks/Yosemite systems where it -doesn't- happen? Like I said, this happens without fail for me on 4 Mavericks + one Yosemite system with various Nvidia/AMD cards, so if there is some combination of hardware that for some reason doesn't cause this bug that would be good to know as well.

Even without an object selected, Set Image size will crash pretty regularly.

Hi Rich,

Yes, it is working fine here:

post-5-0-58861400-1422291685_thumb.jpg

We haven't had any issues with Set Image Size with no objects selected, but we have to admit, we are no longer testing formZ 6 on current versions of OS X.  

formZ 6 is intended for use on OS X 10.3 - 10.7 -- and while it may work on newer systems, as the operating systems evolve, there are greater and greater chances for issues.  For best results, using older software with older systems, and newer software with newer systems is generally recommended...

Archived