AutoDesSys

Referenced CAD files

AsOne

I would be amazing to have referenced CAD files in FormZ.  Similar to how texture maps works - they update automatically if the image source file is updated/changed.

To have a similar feature for CAD files would be great.  For my purposes it would be referenced DWG files.  This is a common feature of other CAD programs.

For example:

I draw a floor plan in AutoCAD (or Vectorworks, or Draftsight, etc) and export a DWG file.  I import the DWG to FormZ with the option to make it a referenced file.  

Then I make changes in AutoCAD, export as DWG again and the FormZ file is updated automatically.  

The DWG import would need to be placed not the appropriate plane and be consistently relative to 0,0,0.  

It would also be nice to have some control over the line settings upon import.  However, if there was an option to place the entire DWG on one Layer that would also do the trick as one can set layer overrides.

Currently I have to reimport DWG files over and over again to match up FormZ with my 2D counterparts (in my case from Vectorworks).

That would be handy. That is how most publishing software works with linking. I used to use proxies in Electric Image back in the day then swap them out with the real deal for rendering.

that would be definitely nice! ...once DWG import module is improved. for such a feature it would need to be able to get more effective filters and tools - like for example, 'set all Z coordinates to 0 while importing" and especially remember import settings. why don't we still have any import presets? when i am working with different clients, the offsets in the plan origins and scales are drastically different between each studio, depending on the software architecture they are using. one old feature request is a way to handle these differences by presets. that would be a first step into a more effective workflow.

recap for DWG importer feature requests:

* make importer handle referenced files

* import presets

* cleanup tools: set all X / Y / Z coordinates to 0

* cleanup tools: import only visible layers

* cleanup tools: import materials/colors as layers

these would be handy also for other file types, of course.

Referencing is the same as linking I believe.  Linked 2D and 3D would be incredible and in my opinion long overdue.  Fast, effortless communication between FormZ and other programs really should sell the software.  If FormZ can be part of an efficient and seamless workflow then there is no reason not to use a "niche" software program.

Referencing is the same as linking I believe.  Linked 2D and 3D would be incredible and in my opinion long overdue.  Fast, effortless communication between FormZ and other programs really should sell the software.  If FormZ can be part of an efficient and seamless workflow then there is no reason not to use a "niche" software program.

Archived