AutoDesSys

Beta 6 import STEP & igs fail.

Martin Malinski

Tried to import two STEP files from grabcad. The 1st link also has an igs file

https://grabcad.com/library/jaguar-e-type--1

https://grabcad.com/library/e-type-1

The IGS file gives an unknown error ID = 3

Both STEP files give the message with no file import.

''Smooth Modeling Error

Problem/Cause :

success''

Models chosen randomly... by different authors.

On pc with win7

Martin

Hi Martin,

These files are Importing fine for us, except for this file which is expected to error because it has no data (note the 0k file size):

post-5-0-54598200-1439484287_thumb.jpg

You did install formZ v8.0 version on this computer using its Installer (which also installs a required Microsoft VCRedist component), right?  

If not, if you download and install formZ 8.0 64 bit Version from this link, and then copy the Beta Application Folder into the Program Files: formZ 8 folder -- and run it from there, does that help?

Hi Dan,

If you check your Extensions Menu: Extensions Manager, do you see the STEP Plugin listed there (either alphabetically, or at the bottom of the list)?

If so, and if it is not checked, does checking and restarting fix it for you?

If not, if you Quit formZ and rename your autodessys folder, does that fix it for you?

If not, which operating system are you using, and did the Beta 5 version have STEP on this computer?

Interesting,

I had previously installed v8 using the installer and added beta folders with each update...except with this update where I used the automatic updater from beta 5 to beta 6.

The STEP, STP & IGS imports had previously worked perfectly on beta v5.

After reading your response I carried out a repair to my v8.02 install using the installer.......deleted the updated beta 6 folder and copied a new beta 6 folder to the v8 folder ......import now works very well.

I can only assume that my folder had become corrupted by/during the online automatic update?

Thanks

Hi Dan,

There are a LOT of problems with that geometry, and most of it is Facetted (STEP is best for Smooth) but it should create a file -- or at least give an error.   Thanks for your report, we will get this corrected.

Dear Andrew,

Thanks for your comments.  Can you please submit a report so we can investigate this?  To submit a report, please send a portion of your .FMZ file that is not exporting properly to support@formz.com and let us know what export options you are trying to use, and which operating system you have.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for sending your file.  We have verified that there is an issue exporting the Components in your file with 7, 8  or 8.5.  Choose the Explode option and it will export properly.

If you ever have an issue you can reproduce, please make sure to send it so we can make sure it gets addressed, and help you with a work-around...

Archived