AutoDesSys

form•Z 9.2.4 Hidden Line Display Challenges

Richard Fairbanks

< 3.5 GHz, 6-Core Mac Pro (MacPro6,1) with 16GB RAM and D700 GPUs, running macOS 10.14.6 and form•Z 9.2.4 (Build A4D0) >

Greetings, folks!

I very much appreciate all the work that went into version 9; it has some fantastic new features!

Alas, when I switch to Hidden Line display mode, the screen will display the current view in Hidden Line mode, but any change of the screen, zooming, moving the vantage point with the Hand tool, rotating with the Set View tool, etc., all cause the screen to go white.

Hidden Line mode is the rendering display mode I use almost exclusively; it used to work great, especially with the Set View tool!

Any suggestions would be deeply appreciated!

Blessings, and thank you!

Richard Fairbanks

Hi Richard,

When hidden Line is calculated, any change to the view will cause it to re-calculate.

I use hidden line display quite a lot. I have found v9.2 to have problems with HL, especially when saving to an image format.My workaround is to open my models when they are complete in an older version v9.0.

Another excellent work around is to use Shaded work display with your materials set to a white colour with reflection set to constant and a white background white background. The only problem is no edges where solids are intersecting.

Thank you, Des, and thank you, Allan, I really appreciate your feedback!

Alas, on my system, no version of form•Z 9 has ever been able to move or rotate the display in Hidden Line mode. (I just though I would try versions 9.0 and 9.1 again, but they all hang upon launch.)

I do use Shaded Work and Shaded Full when using the Set View tool, but I have multiple colors for various objects and have not found a way to override those settings. I also do need to see the edges where solids are intersecting. Hidden Line mode has been incredibly useful for me!

(It worked really well in 8.6 and prior releases, and was a Godsend when filing for my USPTO Lotus Dome patent. Patent and thirty-foot diameter prototype photos on www.LotusDome.com.)

Edited by Richard Fairbanks