AutoDesSys

Setting up temporary origin

cptoeppen

I am an intermittent user of FormZ and am currently working on a design where I would like to be able to set up a temporary origin (0,0,0) at a specific point on the design so I can place various objects in an accurate position from that location, rather than continually measuring and doing the math.  While i have used FormZ a fair amount over the years, I am not familiar with any way to do this.  

Since the item I am designing is a subset of a larger project, I do not want to use the standard origin location to build it.  I have tried setting up a new X,Y reference plane but that does change the origin location from the standard position.

Any suggestions?

I've had to do this numerous times.  The simple option I have found is to simply make a Point (Draw Point tool) , or even draw a 3D Cube with a point ending at the new 'origin' you need.  Then it's just a matter of being mindful of using your point snaps while placing your various objects in relation to that location.  

Does that help?

Thanks Justin, however I just figured it out.  I created a new plane and used the Edit Plane tool to move it to the new location I wanted the origin, and then switched the X,Y Z distance readouts in the upper left corner near the Point tool from the 3D setting to Plane setting and "voilà" it works!

Yes, it works ; )

You can create and control new arbitrary work planes in the Planes Palette. In formZ, they are called Reference Planes.

You can create them first and then edit them with the Edit Reference Plane tool in the Reference Plane Tools Palette. This tool activates a plane gizmo with the origin and ordinates of the reference plane that you can move and rotate graphically. Also, you can edit these planes numerically through the Planes Palette, choosing the one you want to edit.

You can also create them with the Define Reference Plane Tool in the same palette above. When creating planes in this way, they will be saved automatically in the Planes Palette.

You can activate the planes in the Planes Palette at any time to work with them. For new inputs on any saved or only temporarily (also possible) created Reference Plane, you have to switch first from 3D to Plane in the Input Palette.

To return to de XY, YZ, ZX planes, you pick on their corresponding icons in the Reference Plane Tools Palette. I recommend you use keyboard shortcuts for this and to be efficient working with planes also.

Although it sounds a bit complex, it's easy to understand once you start working with them. I hope this helps you.

Edited by ZTEK