AutoDesSys

Alternative to FZ Layout. Proposed Workflow FZ to Working Drawings

kim

I loved the concept of Layout and would use it as much as I possibly could because I feel it makes the FZ suite a powerful application. But I was always waiting, in the hope that ADS would get it to work properly.  Two weeks ago, I had a serious setback with Layout and have decided to find an alternative.  Because a lot of my decision making was done with the help of reading this forum, I thought that I would share the workflow I have created to produce my working drawings.  

This workflow is new and my notes were roughly made, more as a reminder to myself than as an instruction to others.   It would not surprise me if there are errors in the document.  Please read and use at your own peril.  

There is a built in redundancy going through QCAD Pro but I find it useful as QCAD has some good geometric tools.  BTW the QCAD forum is really good. I also bought the QCAD intro to CAD book by Andrew Mustun.  Even though it is aimed at folks coming from actual drafting to CAD, Andrew explains some of the tools really well.  

As most of you know, going into Affinity Publisher is unbelievable.  What I love most from this app is that you can utilize not only the Publisher tools but also the Designer and Photo tools, all in the same document.

If you have comments or criticisms please feel free to post.  It is all part and parcel of a continuing learning process.

Workflow Notes- FZ to Publisher.pdf

Hi Hugo,

Thanks to you, I use the Modeling at 300dpi and export to Publisher.  But when creating detail drawings, I find that the modeler tools are limited when thinking and working in 2D, which is understandable.  I cannot wait for you to produce your video 😁

Moving across the different platforms is easy - luckily they all like dxf files - the reason for using the different tools is that I am maximizing the number of tools available to me.

Kim,

the tools in the modeler are more efficient than the ones in draft. Think about the color fills faces for instance. Using colors and textures, shades etc. is also a way of communication.

Think about DXF, sent to all clients they can manipulate them easily. But you are responsible for what you deliver. It becomes hard to prove when something goes wrong. 
DXF can be made from the modeler as well, 3D and 2D. 

Hugo,

I agree with all your points. In terms of the dxf, I only use it -in house- I would never send a DXF to clients or a contractor?  I only send pdf's out?

But yes the modeler has some really cool tools. For example, the section tool in 3D modeler adds a powerful touch combined with the Scenes palette, which records the view plus layers it is really easy to create a "Detail" section or an elevational view etc.  Once created you can move on and come back in a jiffy.  The Palette for Layers in itself is incredible, I have yet to come across another modeler/CAD app that allows you to manipulate layers so efficiently.  

The one area where the tools in FZ are a bit on the slim side are in the 2D geometric side.  I am sure you have looked at Rhino.  They have a wonderful collection of 2D geometric tools.  For other reasons, I do not like Rhino and feel that QCAD has a good enough range of these tools. Expecting one app to cover all ones needs is not realistic.  My approach is to dig the best out of apps that can talk to one another.  Create a workflow where you can pick and choose what you need.  

I am impressed with the way (you once showed some images of yours) you have manipulated FZ to work for your needs and this is why I am excited to learn more about your technique.

Many thanks!

Could you give me example about ‘2d geometry side’ is slim… 

as I can remember 2d toolset is as good as the 3d toolset in the modeler. I just watched a video about Rhino 2d toolset, and i am not impressed about it. Maybe I do not get it… 😊

http://www.utsdesignindex.com/tools/rhino-2d-drawingtoolset-commands/

Edited by Hugo