AutoDesSys

[Q] FormZ models to Illustrator vector art

Pobo

I'm struggling again with exporting vector graphics from FormZ. I had this down, but something seems to have changed.

See screenshots;

I have a pyramid.

I switch to front view.

I export to DWG.

After importing to Illustrator, I get a .... top view!?

It wasn't always this way, was it? Do I really have to use Layout to get any other view than a top view? I find going to Layout very cumbersome.

Would love to hear how you guys export to Illustrator.

// Tom

Screenshot 2021-07-07 at 13.17.34.png

Screenshot 2021-07-07 at 13.18.28.png

Screenshot 2021-07-07 at 13.19.47.png

Screenshot 2021-07-07 at 13.33.21.png

I think from V6 on there are no shaded view surfaces to export anymore.

Exporting to .eps from a hidden line view directly out of FZ will give vectors but no scale (line/dash, no surfaces)

From Layout you will also get colors and scale, but still no fillings - it takes a moment but works quite well, and once setup will auto update which is nice.

Ah sorry, John, I completely misunderstood your earlier comment about Hidden Line.

Thanks for the clarification, R2D2,  nice summary.

But still I have problems:

1. I'm in Layout and  the base of my pyramid in front view correctly measures 20mm
  2. I export EPS, import into Illustrator
  3. Now the base of the pyramid measures 66mm

What am I missing here?

Regards,

Tom

Screenshot 2021-07-08 at 00.16.30.png

Screenshot 2021-07-08 at 00.16.12.png

I have not used Illustrator in a long time but it used to be able to import DWG .

Heres two quick shots: 1.: FZ Layout Frame, 2.: DWG export opened in Vectorworks (>export dwg, not >export image/dwg)

This maintains scale, thickness, style/colour it seems, so it might be worth trying DWG instead of eps.

Some cleanup (triangulation) has to be done still but for a quick shot its not bad.

Also try the different settings for Graphics in the "Frame Parameters" in Layout.

Once you have this set up it will always auto update from your modeling file after you hit save.

1FZ.png

2_dwg.png

Many thanks for putting this together, R2D2.

It looks really good in VectorWorks ... but I cannot get it to work in Illustrator. I've tried Export/DWG, Export Image/DWG, Export Image/Illustrator, Export Image/EPS. Nothing works. I varied with some settings in the export dialog box. No joy.

I'm giving up for now, I've asked Support for help.