AutoDesSys

texture scaling

tkastudio

its bee a while since I used FZ/Vray, getting back to it and cannot figure out how to scale texture in Vray.  I am trying to make a simple perforated metal type of thing.  In rendtrworks its controlled via % in actual texture setting (polka dot or alpha map), but it has no effect on Vray,   I cannot find texture map size controls.  Can anyone point me to it?

The % scaling only works with RenderZone, which is basically dead these days.

You need to use FormZ's Edit Texture tools.  You'll use Shaded view to preview the mapping as you interactively adjust it. 

http://www.formz.com/manuals/formZ85/formZ_Pro/!SSL!/WebHelp/11910_Edit_Texture.html

and

Edited by Justin Montoya

Justin,

many thanks for quick reply, actually, I didn't ask the right question.  I am aware of that, what I was looking for is ability to globally edit texture size, lets say I use the same material for different things which need to be on different layers (layers representing different elements of architecture: exterior, interior etc which is how things are grouped as they come from cad drafting, in my case Vectorworks).   So far I have been able to sort of globally edit textures by joining the objects and then assigning and defining texture in one edit.  The tricky thing is that joining objects or surfaces is not changing layer assignment (which is great), however, joining is not a editable group - its not easy to take out or add elements to a group, as a result when updating a model it takes a lot of work (selecting, deselecting etc) to maintain the ability to edit textures.

You actually found a much missed feature from v6 and earlier.  Texture groups.  We've requested it to return since v7 was released.  Let's hope ADS finally does that with v9!

Short of that, you may need to make many different scaled maps of the same texture in Photoshop and then apply separately in FormZ.  Maybe someone else can chime in here with some better advice for your particular situation.

• 2 weeks later...

I miss the texture groups from 6 as well.  For what its worth there are a few more little ways to improve editing textures of multiple objects.  One is to use a palette that I rarely use which is Selection Sets.  You can right click on an object, click on "select all objects using this material", then create a selection set for future editing.  If you want to drop or add an object from that set then deselect or select that object and create a new set.   Another useful tool is a script named "separate object faces by color"  which I use quite often.  If you model by applying different materials to different faces of an object this can come in very handy.  As for different sizes of materials being applied just right click the material and duplicate it.  Then rename the material something like "tile large".  In my work I might create one wood pattern for vertical wood, one for horizontal wood, one for sloped wood, etc. using this method.  Hope this helps.