AutoDesSys

Selection Tool

dankosturik

Is there a way to stop my selection tool from also wanting to move objects?

I'm trying to select a grouping of objects within my scene while in wireframe mode, but the selection tool is instead wanting to click and drag an object that is in front.

Why have a separate move tool from the selection tool, if the software forces a move tool onto you with the selection tool?

21 hours ago, jsiggia said:

Danosturik,

You can uncheck the drag option in the Pick tool options palette.

Hope this helps,

Joe

This solved that aspect of the select tool functionality. Unfortunately, the selection tool just doesn't do what I wish it did; When I'm working in wireframe mode, I wish it wouldn't select faces of objects within my scene when I attempt to draw a box around objects 'within' them. I'm simply used to working within 3ds max, and need to look past the things FormZ falls short with, for now.

Thank you for your response.

The pick tool has a few options to help it know what you want to select.

Can you post a pic of your scene including pick tool settings and let us know what you would like to select?

If you "Post Pick" with another tool selected, in can know what types of objects will work with that tool.

Joe

Danko,

I think once you get the hang of it, you will see that FormZ is much, much faster to work with than 3ds max.  Key shortcuts and optimizing the interface will set you free.  I personally think the toolbar should be on the right with the tool options to reduce the constant mouse movement between the two.  I wish the Auto Pick tool worked better, as I have no use for it in its current form.

Also, using the Isolate Objects and Reveal Objects shortcuts can be particularly helpful at working through complex scenes where accurate selection can be more difficult.   You can access these from a right click after selecting objects, or by the shortcut keys (Shift+CTRL+I and Shift+CTRL+R), so you can quickly focus on only the parts you need to work on.  I think this is a newer feature but it has become essential to my workflow.

rightToolbar.JPG

Archived