AutoDesSys

Sketch styles?

rhodesy

I raised this in another thread but I think it's got a bit lost and feel it deserves it's own thread.

The long and the short of it is, when will we get some sketchup style line display types? I raised this a few years ago and it was said to be something that could be looked into. But I feel now with the release of formZ free would be a great opportunity to snatch some of the sketchup user base. however I really feel many might be put off using formZ as it just doesn't produce the same visual feed back and instant architectural presentation quality images as sketchup. I really feel it would be worth looking into just a few decent styles that we can use.

Just my thoughts and I would hope this should be relatively easy to implement as sketchup has had this for about 10+ years now!

Great step forward releasing the free version though. I'm telling many of my clients to give it a spin. At least I will have a fighting chance of receiving a workable model with nice geometry from them!

Hi Rob,

Yes, that sounds like a reasonable suggestion, we will see what we can do for the future.  Have you taken a look at the new Shaded Full features -- that not only offer bump mapping and soft shadows, but real time Ambient Occlusion as well?

Thanks, although that sounds like a similar reply to the last time I raised it ;-). Yes I've seen those display types but they aren't quite the same. They slow modelling speed down quite a bit on a more complex model even on a good rig and as a presentation tool fall in between a decent traditional gi render and the sketch style render.

Please don't underestimate this for attracting sketchup architects of which there are many. I have no doubt formz has the better tool box but getting an image directly out of the program that looks good and takes no extra effort is key.

Having a vast repository of attractive sketch styles is absolutely necessary to appeal to a wider user base. I've started with some of the default library sketch styles in FMZv7 and applied these to shaded renderings simillar to what is available with SU. Oftentimes the hiddenline process takes waaaaaay too long to be productive. The default ones with FMZ don't compare in quantity and quality with the many available from the SU user base.

Archived